Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Outstanding Contributor.. andrew.dalbor Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

SmartConnector Extra processing errors seen

Hey all,

Has anyone else run across the below error in their agent.log after a connector restart?  Usually only occurswhen the connector is caching.

[ERROR][default.com.arcsight.agent.parsers.i][performExtraProcessing]

java.lang.NullPointerException

It is a WINC connector processing Windows Event Logs

The log is filled with these errors.  I am on my 3rd ticket with HP support and so far the past 2 resolutions have only worked for a short time.

First resolution was to add the below to the agent.properties:

parser.operation.result.cache.enabled=false

2nd resolution was upgrade to 7.2

Just curious if anyone else has run into this and if so how they resolved it.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
grantsales
New Member.

Re: SmartConnector Extra processing errors seen

I started seeing this too when applying an override to the broken WiNC parser.

I need true source / destination IP's in events like Kerberos events, now my log is filled with these errors too.

0 Likes

Hey Grant,

According to HP Support this is a known bug as I have had a case open on it for months now.  Here is the bug# for your reference CON-17331

0 Likes
grantsales
New Member.

I deleted all lines starting with "#" in the parser override file that I'm using and the errors magicly went away.

Maybe the error is realated to something in the comments, or perhaps there is a line limit of the file itself that generates these errors. Unknown on my end, but I just keep two files for my override, one with comments to edit and read, antother just used grep to strip out comments to deploy to the connectors.

0 Likes

Yes that is the workaround but in my case (maybe yours too) when the connector was restarted the errors started occurring again.

0 Likes
grantsales
New Member.

Has anyone seen an update on this? I'd like these errors to go away.

0 Likes

Have you tried updating to a newer connector version? If I remember correctly one of the previous versions was supposed to correct this issue.

0 Likes
nils.guenther@t Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

I have recently installed newest version available (7.3.0.7886.0). I am still seeing this error. No overrides in place at all.

0 Likes
Highlighted
nils.guenther@t Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

I have tracked down the cause of the problem. The directory \user\agent\map contains two files map.0/1.properties that contained lines beginning with a '#'. These were placed there by the installer. I have deleted these lines, restarted the connector and the problem disappeared.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.