Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. psantiamo Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Software Connectors in ArcMC 2.2

Jump to solution

I've installed ArcMC 2.2 and successfully added 3 existing software connector hosts and 3 loggers.

We have a connector appliance that will go away since we have ArcMC, however, when I look to build connectors on ArcMC, there isn't anything built in. I have to download and install connector software.

If ArcMC does, in fact, have built in connector software, will someone please point me to the correct file path or GUI clicks?

Second, I've built 3 connectors in one container in ArcMC. When I go to build a second Container, I receive errors such as:

[root@hostname bin]# ./runagentsetup.sh

Assuming ARCSIGHT_HOME: /opt/ArcSightSmartConnectors/Container2/current
          Assuming JAVA_HOME: /opt/ArcSightSmartConnectors/Container2/current/jre

ArcSight Agent Setup starting...

Connector Setup Wizard starting in mode [CONSOLE]
          [Date&Time] [INFO ] Checking for a running instance of connector...
          [Date&Time] [INFO ] Starting up connector...
          FATAL EXCEPTION:
          Could not launch an instance of Connector
          [Date&Time] [ERROR] An instance of connector was launched, but communication was lost with it.
          [Date&Time] [ERROR] You may need to shut it down manually.
          [Date&Time] [INFO ] Shutting Down Agent Framework Version [7.2.3.7789.0]

Any solutions to the second problem?

Thanks.

Labels (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Software Connectors in ArcMC 2.2

Jump to solution

​,

Let me summarize from what I understood:

- You have an ArcMC 2.2 as a software solution (not a connector /ArcMC appliance)

- this ArcMC is managing some smartconnector on linux boxes, no ArcSight connector appliances

The standalone ArcMC software is not able to create "containers" it can only manage existing smartconnectors as it has no possibility to connect to the linux machine on OS level and run commands.

The container concept exists only on connector appliances, you can do a emergency restore only on connector(ArcMC) appliances, for example.

However even an ArcMC appliance can not do emergency restores remotely, it only manages the smartconnectors/containers  usually via port 9001-9008. Port 443 is used to manage usrers and some other configs.

Regarding your error, the only thing I recognized, which is no solution at all is, that it seems that you run your connector as root, which is not best practice. You should create a dedicated user and only run the command to install the service as root.

Hope it sheds some lite on your questions.

Cheers

Andreas

0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

​,

Let me summarize from what I understood:

- You have an ArcMC 2.2 as a software solution (not a connector /ArcMC appliance)

- this ArcMC is managing some smartconnector on linux boxes, no ArcSight connector appliances

The standalone ArcMC software is not able to create "containers" it can only manage existing smartconnectors as it has no possibility to connect to the linux machine on OS level and run commands.

The container concept exists only on connector appliances, you can do a emergency restore only on connector(ArcMC) appliances, for example.

However even an ArcMC appliance can not do emergency restores remotely, it only manages the smartconnectors/containers  usually via port 9001-9008. Port 443 is used to manage usrers and some other configs.

Regarding your error, the only thing I recognized, which is no solution at all is, that it seems that you run your connector as root, which is not best practice. You should create a dedicated user and only run the command to install the service as root.

Hope it sheds some lite on your questions.

Cheers

Andreas

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.. psantiamo Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you Andreas.

That explains a lot.

As far as the connector problem, once I rebooted ArcMC, the problem went away.

Thank you also for the tip about installing the connector as a dedicated non-root user.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.