Highlighted
mhutchison Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The password for the arcsight account to access mysql database is unknown

Jump to solution

Back Story

We are trying to upgrade our ESM from 6.0 to 6.5. During this upgrade there was an error and the upgrade failed. HP support is working with us to revert the version back and try to upgrade again, but we have to replace a table in the mysql database. The password to the database was set by HP, but is not "arcsight" like it suppose to be.

We are testing the password by running this command

/opt/arcsight/logger/current/arcsight/bin/mysql -u arcsight -p

This prompts us for the password.

We even tried using the root account with the password arcsight

Question:

Is there something we can do to either reset the password, or just have it show us the current password? We have access to the OS with arcsight account and root.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.

Re: The password for the arcsight account to access mysql database is unknown

Jump to solution

Here are the steps to resolve an unkownd DB password for 6.0 -6.8(latest version out)

1. Stop all services:

a. /sbin/service arcsight_services stop arcsight_web

b. /sbin/service arcsight_services stop manager

c. /sbin/service arcsight_services stop mysqld

d. /sbin/service arcsight_services stop logger_servers

2. Edit /opt/arcsight/logger/data/mysql/my.cnf

3. Add skip-grant-tables under the [mysqld] section in my.cnf

4. Start the mysqld service (service arcsight_services start mysqld)

5. go to /opt/arcsight/logger/current/arcsight/bin directory

6. Issue the below command

./mysql -u root

NOTE: At this point, you should be able to access the database with no password.

7. Issue mysql command

use mysql;

update user set password=PASSWORD('') where user='arcsight';

flush privileges;

exit;

8. Run managersetup:

/opt/arcsight/manager/bin/arcsight managersetup

9. When prompted, change the schema user password

10. Backup your /opt/arcsight/logger/current/arcsight/logger/user/logger/logger.properties

11. Change mysql the password in logger.properties:

/opt/arcsight/manager/bin/arcsight changepassword -f /opt/arcsight/logger/current/arcsight/logger/user/logger/logger.properties -p server.mysql.password

12. enter the new password you entered for mysql above in step #7

13. stop mysql:

/etc/init.d/arcsight_services stop mysqld

14. remove the skip-grant-tables from my.cnf file

vi /opt/arcsight/logger/data/mysql/my.cnf

15. Start all services: /etc/init.d/arcsight_services start all

2 Replies
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Here are the steps to resolve an unkownd DB password for 6.0 -6.8(latest version out)

1. Stop all services:

a. /sbin/service arcsight_services stop arcsight_web

b. /sbin/service arcsight_services stop manager

c. /sbin/service arcsight_services stop mysqld

d. /sbin/service arcsight_services stop logger_servers

2. Edit /opt/arcsight/logger/data/mysql/my.cnf

3. Add skip-grant-tables under the [mysqld] section in my.cnf

4. Start the mysqld service (service arcsight_services start mysqld)

5. go to /opt/arcsight/logger/current/arcsight/bin directory

6. Issue the below command

./mysql -u root

NOTE: At this point, you should be able to access the database with no password.

7. Issue mysql command

use mysql;

update user set password=PASSWORD('') where user='arcsight';

flush privileges;

exit;

8. Run managersetup:

/opt/arcsight/manager/bin/arcsight managersetup

9. When prompted, change the schema user password

10. Backup your /opt/arcsight/logger/current/arcsight/logger/user/logger/logger.properties

11. Change mysql the password in logger.properties:

/opt/arcsight/manager/bin/arcsight changepassword -f /opt/arcsight/logger/current/arcsight/logger/user/logger/logger.properties -p server.mysql.password

12. enter the new password you entered for mysql above in step #7

13. stop mysql:

/etc/init.d/arcsight_services stop mysqld

14. remove the skip-grant-tables from my.cnf file

vi /opt/arcsight/logger/data/mysql/my.cnf

15. Start all services: /etc/init.d/arcsight_services start all

Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

also check the below link,

as i had to do the below as well to get my esm back up again:

14. Back these files:
      server.properties, database.properties, logger.properties, logger.defaults.properties

15. Run the command and follow the instructions from such script until it's completion.
      /opt/arcsight/manager/bin/arcsight changepassword -f /opt/arcsight/manager/config/server.properties -p dbconmanager.provider.logger.password

16. Run the command and follow the instructions from such script until it's completion.
      /opt/arcsight/manager/bin/arcsight changepassword -f /opt/arcsight/manager/config/database.properties -p dbconmanager.provider.logger.password

17. Run the command and follow the instructions from such script until it's completion.
      /opt/arcsight/manager/bin/arcsight changepassword -f /opt/arcsight/manager/config/database.properties -p database.user.password

18. Run the command and follow the instructions from such script until it's completion.
      /opt/arcsight/manager/bin/arcsight changepassword -f /opt/arcsight/logger/userdata/logger/user/logger/logger.properties -p server.mysql.password

19. Run the command and follow the instructions from such script until it's completion.
      /opt/arcsight/manager/bin/arcsight changepassword -f /opt/arcsight/logger/current/arcsight/logger/config/logger/logger.defaults.properties -p server.mysql.password

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM00287364

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.