jbur Absent Member.
Absent Member.
595 views

Unattended or scripted ESM 6.5 install

Has anyone attempted to do an unattended/scripted/automated installation of ArcSight ESM 6.x?

-Joe

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
ronaldo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Unattended or scripted ESM 6.5 install

Hi Joe ... did you had any luck with this ?

Regards

Ronny

0 Likes
frankbijkersma Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Unattended or scripted ESM 6.5 install

1. The RHEL6.5 (or CentOS) can be installed fully automatically with use of kickstart scripts. Given you have a fully standardized set of hardware that you will deploy it on (mainly because of RAID configs that can be tricky). You may have to inject drivers into the installation as well, or use the Dell Provisioning tools to do this for you in case you have Dell HW. HP hardware likely has the same feature, though I am unfamiliar with it.

2. Post Installation scripts can be used to prepare for installation (copy the installation files, make the directories, set environment, etc.).

3. When it comes to ESM installation you should be able to make a silent installer - but you will only be able to make this if you first run a full ESM installation.

If you deploy ESM's quite often it is nice to look into this, but if you don't (or have customer specific ESM installs every time) you may only want to look into steps 1 and 2 to quickly get of the ground with a working (and hardened) OS, prepared for ESM (or logger) installation.

Maybe it's a nice idea to combine these installations with Puppet so you can deploy even faster from a central console.

0 Likes
jbur Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Unattended or scripted ESM 6.5 install

Some background on this use case: We have dozens of ESM instances with many different people performing the installation.  To ensure consistent security, performance, and stability we chose to pursue a scripted installation.

We were able to eliminate about 80% of the manual work via kickstart (takes care of RHEL), shell, and python scripts.  The other 20% are the things that differ from instance to instance like IP, hostname, storage, etc.

Although everything works, we would really appreciate if HP offered a way to do scripted/unattended/silent installs out of the box.

0 Likes
gportnoy1
New Member.

Re: Unattended or scripted ESM 6.5 install

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.. ali3n0ne1 Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Re: Unattended or scripted ESM 6.5 install

Joe,

Appears you had success with the automated orchestrated deployment of ESM?

Looking at doing the same for a major deployment on the radar.

--

Justin

0 Likes
Highlighted
jbur Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Unattended or scripted ESM 6.5 install

Yes it works well for 6.5.  I'm interested to see what our options will be for ESM 6.9.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: Unattended or scripted ESM 6.5 install

Do you know where I may find a copy of this script?  I've been scouring protect724 with no luck.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.