New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Use of offset collection and schedule in trend?

Hi All,

I have two queries in trend.

1. Offset Collection will make trend to wait for time set (i.e 1 day) and then run to collect 1 days old data. But is it good practice? If I am getting all the events on time, do I still need to consider this. This creates confusion in the trend output and makes the troubleshooting harder. But ESM notifies to include it as best practice to avoid the impact on event insertion performance in DB. How true is this?

2. If I set interval as 1 hour and schedule as every 6 hours. I have will have trend running 4 times a day with 6 queries and if I set the schedule once in day, I will have trend running once (waking up once) and running 24 queries for me. Which is better and why? Please correct if my understanding is wrong

Regards,

Amit

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Commander
Commander

Generally, it's advised to offset trend collection by one day.  This allows for handling late arriving events and also minimize contention to the database.

This might be a good read for you:

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi Amit,

Taras is right.

1> Well. If it is on huge subset of data. Yes it will affect the Performance.  Offset is good if you are running on weekend and also depends on the frequency. Sometimes the trend times out due to alot of reasons. In those scenarios u can use this approach of historical fill.

2> Well shorter duration is good for high volume EPS devices and 24 queries basically for low EPS ones. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.