Highlighted
lucdesaulniers Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

User access necessary to access Windows Event Logs

Jump to solution

Hello all.

We have a few connectors here who collect Windows Event Log data from multiple servers.

The account used to access said server is defined as Domain Administrator. I am being asked to investigate and see if the user absolutely needs Domain Admin privileges,

Can anyone direct me to documentation that could help me in finding what I need. I have looked into a few ArcSight Active Directory config guided but have yet to find anything.

Thank you for any information you may provide.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rkent1 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: User access necessary to access Windows Event Logs

Jump to solution

Hi Luc,

No, you don't have to use a domain admin, you can use a local account and just add the user to the "Event Log Readers" group.

See the section "With a Standard Local User Account from Windows Vista Workgroup Hosts" on page 13 of the Windows SmartConnector Guide ->

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
2 Replies
rkent1 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Luc,

No, you don't have to use a domain admin, you can use a local account and just add the user to the "Event Log Readers" group.

See the section "With a Standard Local User Account from Windows Vista Workgroup Hosts" on page 13 of the Windows SmartConnector Guide ->

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
lucdesaulniers Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.