sharat9991 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Want to know all about EPS

Want to know all about EPS, it's calculation to determine the licensing and how i can find out my correct eps count in Arcsight?

0 Likes
1 Reply
pbrettle Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Want to know all about EPS

Actually there are several ways to do this:

1) Go to the Event Throughput dashboard in the console - All Dashboards\ArcSight Administration\ESM\System Health\Event Throughput

event throughput dashboard.JPG

You can see the E/s columns and that is the EPS (mine is a test system running on a VM - so that is correct). You can also see how many events are generated by the internal system - though you dont get licensed on that.

2) Looking at the Manage.jsp page - you can go to https:/<your manager FQDN>:8443/arcsight/web/manage.jsp and login. You then get access to the internal stats and data around ESM and what it is doing. EPS rates are available in a few locations, but for a quick snapshot, you can just click the LicenseInfo section:

manage jsp license info.JPG

You can see that there is an EPS number in there - its slightly higher here because it was flushing a cache, but you will be pleased to know its dropped back to 3-5 EPS for my test system.

3) Check out the status view for ESM 6.9.1 - you can now just go to the web console and click the Status link at the top and get the data over an extended period of time. Mine is a test system so its blank - but you get the idea:

691 status screenshot.JPG

4) You can check out the detailed Connector dashboard for specific information - go to All Dashboards\ArcSight Administration\Connectors\System Health\Connector Connection and Cache Status. In there is a detailed breakdown of a lot of things, but importantly though you will see a panel called Current Connector Status - its a specific data monitor (real-time) that shows what is going on and what is sending / caching. You can see an example here:

connector status dashboard screenshot.JPG

And for reference, I let this one run for a little longer to make sure I had the data correct. Basically I have the replay agent running at 184 events per minute - which equals 3 EPS. So we are bang on the number....

Hope this helps understand where you can get the details.

In the future, because there has been so much confusion, misinformation and lack of training around licensing, expect this to be a lot simpler. Later versions of ESM, ArcMC and Logger will all have direct information on the initial landing screens which will show the EPS rates, GB/d or any other relevant license information. These will then dynamically turn red when you are over your license. I have never been a fan of doing it this way, but it seems that customers do want such a system and they insist on making it as obvious as possible. Personally though, the figures speak for themselves - something like 96% of all software is licensed correctly, so quite why we have to shout about it is beyond me. But hey, thats what customers want.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.