Highlighted
Ignight71 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What does the "last message repeated __ times" message mean?

Jump to solution

Hello guys I have a log message I never really understood.

I am looking at a log from this unix machine but all I can see is " hostname__" in the deviceCustomString1.

Does anyone know why this(last message repeated) happens or possibly how to fix this?

Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mjohnston Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What does the "last message repeated __ times" message mean?

Jump to solution

Some syslog daemons for Linux/Unix will de-duplicate repeated messages and log such a "last message repeated" message instead. Ideally, these would be reflected in the Aggregated Event Count of the event that they 'de-duplicate', but that's difficult for two reasons.

First, they can only be interpreted correctly when the receiver (i.e. SmartConnector) receives the events in correct order. When using UDP, this can't be guaranteed. Also, the receiver, as messages are received, would always have to wait for the 'next message' before dealing with the current message, in case the next one was a "Last message repeated" message.

Long story short, I doubt the SmartConnector bothers with all of this. You should either ignore these "Last message repeated" messages, or configure your syslog daemons to not perform this kind of de-duplication.

linux - Is there a way to remove "Last message repeated x times" from logs? - Server Fault

0 Likes
3 Replies
James.Kube Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Sounds like you might have an issue with the Aggregation settings or Event-Filtering on your Connector. 

0 Likes
mjohnston Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Some syslog daemons for Linux/Unix will de-duplicate repeated messages and log such a "last message repeated" message instead. Ideally, these would be reflected in the Aggregated Event Count of the event that they 'de-duplicate', but that's difficult for two reasons.

First, they can only be interpreted correctly when the receiver (i.e. SmartConnector) receives the events in correct order. When using UDP, this can't be guaranteed. Also, the receiver, as messages are received, would always have to wait for the 'next message' before dealing with the current message, in case the next one was a "Last message repeated" message.

Long story short, I doubt the SmartConnector bothers with all of this. You should either ignore these "Last message repeated" messages, or configure your syslog daemons to not perform this kind of de-duplication.

linux - Is there a way to remove "Last message repeated x times" from logs? - Server Fault

0 Likes
Ignight71 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the informative post Mathew. That helped me a lot!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.