Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Arunpandiyan
Member.

core-service & manager-service reports connection refused

Hi All, 

We are consuming many of the ESM API services for integration purposes. In recent days, the ESM started receiving huge traffic than ever before, since then we started facing availability issues with the API services.  At least once in week time, we are experiencing the issue of API calls returning 500 with a message "ESM is currently unable to handle this request.".

While checking the esmservices.log, for every call we could see the new log lines generated as below. 

Failed to connect to http://localhost:9090/core-service/rest/LoginService/login?login=username&password=secret Exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
2019-10-31 11:57:16,985 ERROR [SeededJsseListener-8192] - SocketException reported for httpRequest:GET /www/core-service/rest/LoginService/login?login=username&password=secretHTTP/1.1 Headers: [Content-Type: application/json, Host: chnarcesm:8443, ], From: host=source_ip, user=null

2019-11-26 23:41:25,856 ERROR [SeededJsseListener-18440] - SocketException reported for httpRequest:GET /www/manager-service/rest/CaseService/getCaseEventIDs?authToken=<<token_here>>&caseId=<<ESM CaseID here>> HTTP/1.1 Headers: [Content-Type: application/json, Host: chnarcesm:8443, ], From: host=source_ip, user=null

I guess the services are crashing not sure about the cause. Please help to isolate the cause or to find more details related to this issue.

The following are the services we have used in our integration platform.

• LoginService
  • ReportService
  • CaseService
  • GroupService
  • PortletService

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Arun.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: core-service & manager-service reports connection refused

The most common issue this happens is because you don't call the Logout action on LoginServices after you are done with each API call.

When logging in through the API it actually creates a session on the ESM similar as if you would login with the GUI client or Command Center, depending on your timeout values of that user, the session will stay for a while before finally timing out.

However if you utilize many API calls in your integrations, and for some reason the session is not logged out after you have performed your necessary actions, the session table fills and it will in the end result in a 5xx error response.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All topics and replies made is based on my personal opinion, viewpoint and experience, it does not represent the viewpoints of MicroFocus.
All replies is based on best effort, and can not be taken as official support replies.
//Marius
0 Likes
Arunpandiyan
Member.

Re: core-service & manager-service reports connection refused

Thanks, @Marius2 

Can you tell me how to check the number of active sessions for that account and to confirm that open sessions are the cause. Can you give some logfile names where I can get more information about the downtimes? The esmservice.logs has no detailed exception recorded.

On an additional note, I am maintaining a token store within, to capture the token after the first login. Any API calls from there on will just refer to this token and call the respective services.

However ArcSight will invalidate the session forcefully, hence I will validate the condition if the API call failed due to the authentication issue, will refresh the session once by calling login API. The refresh session service is a threadsafe meaning, all requests to this method are synchronized. This is to ensure that, all the time,  the sessions are best reused instead of creating multiple sessions.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the delayed reply.

Kind Regards,

Arun.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.