Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Outstanding Contributor.. rtoni1 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

logger services sanity checks

Hello all,

I am trying to understand the options for troubleshooting and / or restarting the underlying processes on a Logger appliance.  It seems there are a few ways to slice and dice this, and that this may depend on the Logger type (software vs appliance) or other factors - but I'm not sure.

IArcSight ESM documentation spells this out reasonably well, but Logger - not so much.  Or maybe I'm just missing the obvious.  Anyway, I'd like to cut through my confusion around the best way to check / manage Logger appliance processes / services via SSH, so I can fix issues, like when the GUI dies, etc.

1) /etc/init.d/arcsight_logger <args.....>

this command is referenced in a few posts here (e.g. customers stopping / starting Logger processes etc.) but I'm not sure if these posts are related to software Logger vs Logger appliances.  In any case, when I run this command on a Logger appliance (6.2) it returns nothing (no errors or output).  Is this something that works only on software Logger by design?

2) /opt/local/monit/bin/monit <args>

The release notes for Logger reference the monit daemon as the means to address possible issues with logger processes- can I assume that monit is the supported approach for managing processes on Logger appliances?

3) /opt/arcsight/logger/bin/loggerd <args>

the admin guide discusses this in the Software Logger Command Line options section.  The same commands appear to work on Logger Appliances here, but I'm not sure to what extent, or if doing so will conflict with the operation of the monit daemon, or cause other issues etc.?

Just trying to sort out the proper approach for future reference.

Thanks as always.....

Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
pbrettle Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: logger services sanity checks

On the appliance, the best thing to do is go to the GUI and then the System Admin tab and then Process Status. From there you should see the running (or not running) services and the ability to stop and start them accordingly.

Capture.JPG

Does that help?

0 Likes

Thanks Paul, that's where I'd go, but there's been a couple instances lately where the system is up, I can puTTY into the box but the GUI is not available.  I can PuTTY into the box, and would like to try restarting (certain?) processes to bring the web back or otherwise troubleshoot, etc. 

BTW - is that the Logger 6.3 in your post? 

0 Likes

FWIW - as part of addressing a recent Logger issue, support advised to run the following:

/opt/local/monit/bin/monit summary (check the status)

/opt/local/monit/bin/monit restart all

/opt/local/monit/bin/monit summary (verify services back up again)

so I will follow Paul's advice where appropriate, and the relevant monit commands as needed (assuming "restart all" may not be necessary and / or service-specific stop / start / restart approach may be more appropriate, depending on the circumstances at the time, etc...)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.