Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

"Administrative Password Security" when trying to get into L7400x RAID config

Jump to solution

So I have an RMA L7400X that I need to put the HDDs from my old logger in. Because ArcSight only has documentation for the L7200 and below (Dell PERC RAID Controllers).... surprise surprise, right?.I need to at least document my RAID config before I proceed.

ArcSight Support has claimed that the only password required is for iLO configuration, but that's because they don't know their own product. I have rebooted the appliance and at post I pressed any key to get to the optional rom messages (pertaining to configuration of iLO and the RAID controller in that order). I wait until the option to configure iLO passes and then when the P410 RAID controller loads my logical drives, it gives me the option to press F8 to enter the config utility or  F9 to enter the config via command line.

No matter what combination I chose, I'm always presented with a blue screen that says "Administrative Password Security" and requests a password. If I enter the wrong password too many times, it says "System restricted" and then continues to load up RHEL as normal.

Anyone know the password to this? Support is , as usual , useless. They've just told me to put the HDD's in the same order and everything will be fine. However, their Dell appliance documentation mentions that you need to reconfigure the RAID controller after a HDD swap. I waited 2 weeks for them to come back and tell me there was no HP appliance documentation and they sent me a PDF about how to hot swap a HDD from the HP Server admin guide...

Labels (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Evan - From a bug in RedHat, the interfaces will be bound to the MAC addresses of the old machine, which causes the new machine to enumerate the interfaces eth4-7.

You can get the interfaces from the new machine to enumerate eth0-3 by editing the “/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules” file and remove any entries that have “eth” there.  Reboot and it should come back with eth0-3.

You can boot the system into single user mode to make edits to the “/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules” file.  Support should be able to provide instructions to you on how to boot to single user mode if you're not sure how to do this.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted

Hi Evan - For the Dell appliances, I think the RAID Controller instructions you are referring to would only need to be used for a single bad HDD replacement that doesn't automatically rebuild into the RAID.

If all 6 of your drives were good when you swapped them to the new appliance, then nothing should need to be rebuilt.  If you boot the L7400 all the way up, you should be able to login into the Logger UI and go to "System Admin-> Storage-> RAID Controller" and check if all 6 of your drives are online.  If they are all online, you're good to go.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Fortunately I'll be able to try it in test before production, so maybe I'll just wing it like that and see what happens.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So the update is.. even though the Dell Appliances require reconfiguring of the RAID controller, you can get away with just swapping the drives in the right order on the HP versions.

The only issue I have now is that the network interfaces seen on the new box map to eth4-eth7 (instead of eth0-eth3). What happens when you try to use the basic CLI they allow is that you can't refer to the interface eth4-eth7, only eth0-eth3. Here's a summary I sent to ArcSight:

On my old box (and all my other loggers), the network card's four interfaces are shown as the following when I do a "show ip" at the CLI:

eth0 - 10.10.82.171 (My actual address)

eth1 - 192.168.36.35 (Default Addresses)

eth2 - 192.168.37.35(Default Addresses)

eth3 - 192.168.38.35(Default Addresses)

When I put the drives from that old box into the new replacement box, I get the following when I do a "show ip":

eth4 - No address

eth5 - No address

eth6 - No address

eth7 - No address

I then try to set the IP address by doing the following:

set ip eth4 110.10.82.171/28 (or set ip eth4 10.10.82.171 255.255.255.240)

It fails and says there's no such interface. So thinking they're just the wrong aliases, I try:

set ip eth0 10.10.82.171/28

No error happens, so I assume it works, so then I do another "show ip" to confirm, where I get the following again:

eth4 - No address

eth5 - No address

eth6 - No address

eth7 - No address

So even if it takes on eth0, I have no way of knowing. Fine, I'll just go ahead and set the defaultgw and see if I can contact the box.

set defaultgw 10.10.82.161 (or with interface "set defaultgw 10.10.82.161 eth0" (also tried with eth4).

Result is "unable to ping defaultgw"

I do a show defaultgw and nothing is listed

No matter which combination of defaultgw with interface I do, it will not apply it.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Evan - From a bug in RedHat, the interfaces will be bound to the MAC addresses of the old machine, which causes the new machine to enumerate the interfaces eth4-7.

You can get the interfaces from the new machine to enumerate eth0-3 by editing the “/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules” file and remove any entries that have “eth” there.  Reboot and it should come back with eth0-3.

You can boot the system into single user mode to make edits to the “/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules” file.  Support should be able to provide instructions to you on how to boot to single user mode if you're not sure how to do this.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Victor,

Thanks , you're awesome. That's exactly the sort of information I needed from HP on my ticket. I'll get a chance to try this out on Wednesday and update the thread afterwards.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.