Highlighted
jbur Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Anyone using over 16GB of RAM on the Manager?

If so, how are you utilizing the memory?  I've heard 3rd party about people using 64GB of RAM in the manager, but haven't seen any explanation on why this was beneficial.

Thanks,

Joe

Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
whoamib Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Anyone using over 16GB of RAM on the Manager?

We have a fairly large implementation with about 120 Million base events a day and if you figure in the aggregation count it's about 400 to 500 Million logs a day.  We are currently using 4GB in our manager and the OS is using about 4-6GB.  So depending on your environment you can make a decision from the information I provided.  We have a server with 16GB but are only using about 10GB.

The only cases that I would foresee you needing more memory would be if you plan to us large amounts of active lists.  For example if you plan to utilize identity view and manage a very large AD environment then I could see you have over 20 Million Active list entries which could end up using a large amount of memory that may take you close to the 16GB mark.

Let me know if you have any questions.
-Ben Spader
0 Likes
jbur Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ben,

I did have some follow-up questions.

1. If you have 10GB in use and the manager is only using 4GB, then what uses the other 6GB?
  2. I've heard there are other limiting factors for active list entries other than RAM.  What's the highest number of active list entires you've been able to run?

-Joe

0 Likes
whoamib Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Joe,

1. The OS uses anywhere from 4-6 GB, during the ArcSight Manager session with Christian Beedgan he recommended leaving anywhere from 5-6 GB for the OS to use.
  2. I have not heard of these limiting factors on Active Lists.  I believe I hear someone say at the conference that they have seen an AL in the millions but I have not gone over 100K yet.

Thanks,

-Ben

0 Likes
jbur Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I guess the real question I had, was which specific processes are using that 6GB of RAM?

I've heard 20 million is the active list limit, but I haven't seen any detailed analysis done.

-Joe

0 Likes
whoamib Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That's a great question... I wish I could answer that but I don't know right now.

Thanks for sharing that information; 20 million might be the limit, unless someone can prove differently.  Depending on how much information is in each row, 20 million can take up a good chunk of memory.

I have an active list that stores 3 different strings; this active list uses 91MB with 30K entries.  If I did my math correct it would take about 3GB with 1 million entries and 61GB with 20 million entries.

Thanks,
-Ben

0 Likes
vladi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

we have customer with more then 400K rows in 5-7 active lists. running on manager 3GB. works fine
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.