Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Valued Contributor.. shazri.azizan@h1 Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Case Stages and Enforcement

Hi,

I'm working with ESMs Case Management in ESM 6.0c and have a question regarding Stages.

Everything seems to work fine when creating stages and using them with Event Annotation.

However with Cases they behave differently.  For example I can change the stage of a case to any other stage without any restrictions (i.e. subsequent stages).

If I change the name of a Stage in the Stage Editor it isn't reflected in the Case Editor unless I edit the resource_strings.properties file and alter the extendedcase.stages to include the label.

Whenever I look through the documentation regarding Case Stages it hyperlinks me to the stage editor.  The ESM 101 Workflow flowchart does make a slight difference between Stages and Case Stages being somewhat distinct entities.

While the stage names appear to be a subset of those in the Stage Editor, are they different entities with no linkage?  If I create a workflow around using stages can I really only enforce them at the Event level?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
michael.selph Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Case Stages and Enforcement

Yep, the stages for events is totally seperate from the stages in cases. IMO, the case framework that is in ESM is very poor, and if at all possible you should use some sort of external ticketing system. In order to change anything in cases you have to modify some .xml files and then push out the changes to each console that will be using them AND restart ESM in order for the changes to take effect. You also can't track fun things like 'time the ticket was closed' without going about it a really awkard way.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. shazri.azizan@h1 Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Thanks Michael...  I needed that small clarification.

I've customized the Case Management System already but couldn't figure out why I could not restrict a Case going from Queued direct to a Closed.

Since the names are the same and they are both called stages, and the documentation for both workflow and collaboration point you to the Stage Editor for Stage description, it did seem to be one and the same until I began testing.

0 Likes
michael.selph Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No problem. As an ArcSight pro-serve guy once told me "You can totally make a living on ArcSight's piss-poor documentation."

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.