New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Find Smartconnector type/version?

Hey everyone, I have a basic dumb question. Where can I find out exactly what type of smartconnector is installed? Is there a file in the installation directory which will give me the version info? These smartconnectors do not forward to ESM directly so I cannot right click->getStatus.

Background: I was looking to upgrade some connectors and was looking through the configuration guides for each one. I could not find a the type for one of them because it is unsupported from a long time ago. I just wanted to confirm it was the smartconnector type that was no longer supported.

Thanks,

Aaron

Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Cadet 3rd Class Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

In the top level of the current directory where the SmartConnector software is installed there will be one to several agents*.xml files.  In the filename of those files the version of the SmartConnector is indicated.  It is located in the XML tags inside that file.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey Arthur,

Thanks for the response. I cannot find the Connector type in the xml file. I see many strings that might allow someone to guess the type but no specific field for it.

What I am looking for is the SmartConnector type you select when setting it up:

Basically I inherited an already installed smart-connector and I cannot reliably determine its type.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Aaron,

you could check for the "agents[0].type=" String in the agent.properties file.

It only gives you the General Type of connector, not the exact Name as in this dropdown list up there.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Commodore
Commodore

Aaron- Even if these SmartConnectors do not forward directly to your ESM, one way to manage them is to create a second Destination for the ESM in the SmartConnectors but filter all events. Also set the AUP Master to True. This way you have visibility in your ESM and some control of the SmartConnectors. The AUP Master setting allows the ESM to send Modeling information out to the SmartConnectors.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Hi, it usually gives you a reasonable indication on the first page of the connector setup wizard (see the title bar and headings when you run ./arcsight agentsetup -w).

HTH,

Ian.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Wow. This is actually awesome. I can't believe I never came across this before. Thanks for the tip!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.