Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
510 views

Get Event Fields into Active List from Rule

Hi all,

I'v got a rule which fires when a user logs on via the VPN which adds the user details to an active list. I'm aggregating on all the fields I want populated with event data (not the rule info); Name, Target user Name, Target Geo Location Info, Target Geo Country Code but only the Name and Target User Name are being populated in the Active List when the rule fires.

I've checked that these bits of information (Target Geo Country Code, Target Geo Location Info) actually exist in the original events which fire the rule by using an active channel etc but they just do not appear in the Active List although the Name and target User Name appear as expected.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks

Robin

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Reply
6 Replies
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

I would suggest using a session list instead of an active list as the session lists are purpose built for keeping track of things like users currently logged in.

If you merely want to keep a list of recent logins of your VPN (not necessarily concurrent) then make sure your active list is "event-based" which will allow you to map the event fields of choice into the active list.

Other issues off the top of my head would be if you are using "field-based" make sure you are defining the fields properly to what type of data you are populating them with.

Hope that helps!

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The first thing I would do is open an active channel and look for the event created by the rule being fired. "A" way to do this is put the rule name in the generator name field; there are a number of other ways as well. The thing to look for is to see if items in those aggregated fields are truely being "bubbled up." Once that is confirmed you might want to double check your rule>actions tab to make sure all the fields you want are mapped to the appropriate fields in the AL itself. The fact that some data is showing up means there is a level of mapping at least.

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Robin,

I think this is actually a bug, I have had the same problem here. None of the Geo fields were being populated into the active-list, I checked and double checked but couldn't figure out what was going on and therefore couldn't fix it.

I did however work around the issue but putting the data from the Geo fields into variables by using the concatenation function, then I mapped the variables to the Custom String fields and then mapped the Custom String fields to the fields in the active-list. It is much more complicated than it should but it was the only way to make it work.

Vini

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've had this happen as well. I handled it similarly, but instead of creating a variable, i would call the geo fields into different string fields and then send them to the active list.

So instead of writing targetgeocountryname, i would use a set event field to move that value to something like flexstring1 and then write flex string 1 to the active list. ultimately it's the same result.

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm going with creating a variable which gets its value from Target Geo Location Info, and then in the rule action I set event field flexString1 =$targetGeoLocationInfo (which is the name I've given to my variable) and map flexString1 into my active list.

I've added Target Geo Location Info and Flex String 1 into the aggregation tab of the rule. Is this the right thing to do?

Someone else has suggested the reason the data isn't availble directly from the event is that the Geo info is actually looked up after the fact, so the original event doesn't contain the value until it's displayed. I don't know it this is the case though.

Having done the above, my list is populating  but the Geo Location Info is now adding the name of my variable (targetGeoInfo) instead of its value to the active list! I guess I've made a basic mistake somehwere.

I'll keep fiddling with it. Anything obvious come to mind?

Thanks

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted
New Member.

I know this is probably obvious, but i've done this countless times. Compare the name of the variable to the name you are using in Set Event Field. More often than not it's a typo. You did say that you are using flexString1 to populate the active list, so open an active channel and make sure that the correlated event has the expected value in the flexString1 field. Since you are aggregating on it, it should be in the event. If it's in the correlated event then it should make it to the list.

0 Likes
Reply
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.