Highlighted
mavandermeer1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to add assets via the REST API?

Hi all,

We're trying to automating asset management using the REST API in ArcSight 6.5c SP1 to keep ArcSight in track with our existing CMDB.

What we have achieved so far is listing assets in a group using the GroupService service in the REST API and deleting assets using the ResourceService service. What seems to be unimplemented is the addition of assets. We have looked at the ResourceService 'insert' and 'insertResource' methods but both seem to be either unimplemented or not capable of adding assets.

Does anybody have any pointers or examples we can use to achieve this? We are aware of the CSV import via a flexconnector. However, this does not grant us the adaptability of adding and removing assets from ArcSight on the fly.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
12 Replies
sparky1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to add assets via the REST API?

Hey ... not sure that this exists in the API.

However have a look at the latest Asset import connector. This allows for the modification of assets via CSV.

Here you can can Add, Delete, Modify assets within a CSV file.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. Pushpendra_Rathi Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Using Asset import connector

or

Asset import FLEX connector?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
sparky1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Asset Import Flex Connector

0 Likes

That gr8.. That's what I was wondering that it does have anything like that in Asset import connector..

Also another thing, support told me that new Asset import Flex connector is only for ESM 6.8 :-((

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
sparky1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hmm ... odd. They released the functionality in 2012 already.

I have a file called AssetModelImportConn_DevGuide_5.2.1.6190.0.pdf dated April 2012.

I can't remember what version that was released with, but I believe its 5.2.

0 Likes
sparky1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thinking about it, they may mean the asset import connector is version specific. I.e. ArcSight-7.0.7.7287.0-AssetModelImportConnector-Win.exe may only work with 6.8.

0 Likes
shezaf1 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

It is tested only on 6.8c. Probably would work on previous versions as well. The older one from 2012 works on previous ESM versions and I am not aware of major functional differences - only the support of newer operating systems. There might be hidden nuggets in the change of the underlying connector framework, but not directly in the asset import functionality.

0 Likes

Yes you are right... the previous one "Asset Model Import FlexConnector 5.2.1.6190.0" was released in 2012 with ESM 5.2.xxx & then disappeared... there was no update, it was not avail on other ESM software downloads..

And now again they released ArcSight Asset Model Import FlexConnector 7.0.7.7287.0.....

0 Likes

I did not understand if there is any difference in what you said by stating "asset import connector is version specific. I.e. ArcSight-7.0.7.7287.0-AssetModelImportConnector-Win.exe may only work with 6.8."

This is what I meant that the asset import flex connector released with the document name  AssetModelImportFlexCon_7.0.7.7287.0 or you can say with installer name ArcSight-7.0.7.7287.0-AssetModelImportConnector-Linux works only with ESM 6.8..

Here is the reply from support ::

Impact: 4

Product: arcsight smart connectors

Title: Asset Model Import FlexConnector

*** Start of Message ***

Dear Pushpendra,

Thank you for contacting ArcSight Support.

I have reviewed your case and I can see that you are looking for information regarding the new Asset Model Import Flex Connector.

I can confirm that latest Asset Model Import Flex Connector v7.0.7.7287 is only compatiable with ArcSight ESM 6.8c. Other versions of ESM are not supported with this connector.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

0 Likes

Another updated reply when I asked the reason for not supporting earlier versions of ESM::

Hi Pushpendra,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I has spoken to our engineering team and as you have mentioned, while the new Asset Model Import FlexConnector is only certified to work with ESM 6.8c, chances are it may work with previous versions of ESM as well.  This however would be unsupported by HP.

Please have a look at the link below on Protect 724, it is the latest Asset Model Import FlexConnector Developer's Guide:

https://protect724.hp.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/11925-102-1-14672/AssetModelImportFlexCon_7.0.7.7287.0.pdf

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
sparky1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have a read of Ofers response ... looks like its just tested against 6.8 and not the others.

I'm pretty sure that the connector would work on other versions as well ... as it just uses the web archive import functionality, but what ArcSight are saying, is that they have not tested it on other version I think.

====

It is tested only on 6.8c. Probably would work on previous versions as well. The older one from 2012 works on previous ESM versions and I am not aware of major functional differences - only the support of newer operating systems. There might be hidden nuggets in the change of the underlying connector framework, but not directly in the asset import functionality.

====

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.