Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

How to change connector service setting w/o runagentsetup?

Jump to solution

Hey Guys!

In our production environment we don't have the permisson to root in our connector servers. That's fine until we have to register a new connector to run as a service. Then we have to advice the Linux Admins to perform the common command "<Agent_Home>/current/bin/arcsight agentsvc -i -u user". But sometime we would like to use a different service name then "arc_syslog" or "arc_windowsfg", and the command only uses the default ones. Renaming the file afterwards is not an option because of restart issues performed by the connector itself.

So do anyone know where the service configuration settings are stored? My expectation is that after modifying this config file, the agentsvc command will use the changed service name.

(I'm only aware of changing the service name by using the agentsetup wizard. But I will avoid to force the non-arcsight-admins to deal with a wizard dialog.)

Thanks for your help

Tobias

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
heiko.hansen@hp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to change connector service setting w/o runagentsetup?

Jump to solution

Sure, do it like I do:

<Agent_Home>/current/bin/arcsight agentsvc -i -sn agentname -sd agentname -u user

will result in arc_agentname init scripts. I usually keep service name (sn) and service description (sd) identical.

Heiko

2 Replies
heiko.hansen@hp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Sure, do it like I do:

<Agent_Home>/current/bin/arcsight agentsvc -i -sn agentname -sd agentname -u user

will result in arc_agentname init scripts. I usually keep service name (sn) and service description (sd) identical.

Heiko

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Heiko - in a word: Awesome!

Thanks for the hint of just looking in the help screen I never thought there are so much information in it.

For the record - this is the output of the help screen:

user@host:~> <ARCSIGHT_HOME>/current/bin/arcsight agentsvc -h

ServiceTool - ArcSight SmartAgent Service Tool

Version : 5.2.5.6395.0

Copyright (c) 2001-2012 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

Confidential commercial computer software. Valid license required.

Usage:  ServiceTool <parameters>

Optional Parameters:

-p <password>       Windows password

-sd <description>   Service/Script description (Install only) (IBM DB2 UDB Audit File)

-sn <name>          Service/Script name (Install only) (db2_file)

-u <user>           Run as the specified user (For windows use {DomainName}\{UserName}) (user)

Options:

-c                  console - Runs the SmartAgent Service in console mode

-ds                 demandstart - Do not automatically start the service at system startup

-h                  help - Get help for this command

-i                  install - Installs the SmartAgent as a service

-r                  remove - Removes the SmartAgent Service

Thanks and greetings to the GSOC!

br Tobias

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.