Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
reswob4 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

How to do a complete ESM CORR Engine database backup for 6.x?

I'm sure this have been answered somewhere, so if someone with better search-fu than I has a link, that would be appreciated.

We are getting ready to migrate and upgrade and I would like to perform a full backup of the ESM 6.x CORR DB before hand just in case.  Settings and configs are already being saved.  I've looked through the ESM Management Console User Guide, the Console User Guide and the Admin guide, but it only talks about how to turn on daily archiving.  I would like to do a one shot full backup.  Can anyone point to those instructions?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Honored Contributor.

Re: How to do a complete ESM CORR Engine database backup for 6.x?

Just wondering, if I follow these instructions will that do what I need?

From KM1270970:

1. Backup the ESM Manager by copying and saving the Manager installation directory. You can use the OS specific commands to copy and save the Manager directory.

2. Backup the database system tables using the export_systems_tables script. For more information on this process, refer to KM1270079

From KM00218584:

3.  Compress and save all files from the following locations:

/opt/arcsight/logger/current/arcsight/logger/logs (all files with .log suffix)
/opt/arcsight/logger/data/mysql

Sound right?

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Re: How to do a complete ESM CORR Engine database backup for 6.x?

Here's what tech support told me:

Hi Craig,

Thank you for this ticket.  It is great to know that you are doing your home and doing your plan for this upgrade.

Having said that, information that you have used are primarily for Oracle-based ESM. There is an engineering request to document disaster and recovery procedure.  As such, I can share you my recommendations based on my experience working with this product in support.

Mininum and mandatory backup -

1. 1. Export system table using this KB.
    http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00207745
  2. 2. Back up all of your archives.

Full backup -

1. 1. Export system table using this KB.
    http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00207745
  2. 2. Stop all services.  (Don't use "stop all" command.  Stop Arcsight web and manager first).
    Back up all these files under /opt/arcsight (assuming manager is installed under this folder).  Specifically -

- logger
- manager
- services
- suite
- web

Before your upgrade, you can also contact us to test this upgrade.  We will need about TWO weeks to conduct this testing.
Before creating a ticket for us to test this upgrade, you are responsible to run resvalidate and fix all your resources in questions.  We don't know how to fix your resources other than deleting them.  Therefore in order to have meaningful testing, make sure that you have fixed resources before you send us the system table.

If you need our guideance fixing your resouce, please create a new ticket.  For this upgrade, you can ignore INSTRUMENT resouces.

I think I have answered all of your concerns/questions.  Let me know if not.

Thank you for using our support,
-Alan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.