Highlighted
mat863 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to stop users from being able to create cases

Jump to solution

I have a need to create a web only user who can only READ certain info.  I am able to do so without problem.  I have setup the user in a new user group.  That group has inherited only two things from its parent.  Those are the ability to R/W on /All Field Sets and the ability to READ on a particular data monitor.  Other than that, I have added the ability for the user to READ a particular folder in /All Archived Reports.

The problem that I am having is that the user is still able to create a case in his own personal cases folder (from the Web).  I don't want him to be able to do that.  Is there a way to restrict him from doing so?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whoamib Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to stop users from being able to create cases

Jump to solution

Matt,

I believe this is possible to do but unfortunately it is not that easy, especially if you have a lot of users to manage.

The only quick way to remove access to create cases for every user in the new group that you created is to right click on the All Cases group under the Cases in the navigator:

All Cases.jpg

Then select "Edit Access Control". Once you have done that add the group that you would like to restrict access to this list.  For example I have added the "Operators" group below:

All Cases ACL.jpg

Then you will need to uncheck the box that allows write access "W", as seen above.

Warning: This will allow all of those users to see everyones cases.  This is not the recommended solution.

The only solution that I know of that may be very difficult if you have a larger user base is to edit each users permissions individually.

Below you can see that I right clicked on the Admin folder under Cases in the Navigator.

All Cases Admin ACL.jpg

Once you have right click and clicked on "Edit Access Control".  Then  you will just uncheck the box under "W" to remove write access, or remove the user all together  if you don't want them viewing any cases.

Hope this helps...

-Ben

0 Likes
3 Replies
whoamib Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Matt,

I believe this is possible to do but unfortunately it is not that easy, especially if you have a lot of users to manage.

The only quick way to remove access to create cases for every user in the new group that you created is to right click on the All Cases group under the Cases in the navigator:

All Cases.jpg

Then select "Edit Access Control". Once you have done that add the group that you would like to restrict access to this list.  For example I have added the "Operators" group below:

All Cases ACL.jpg

Then you will need to uncheck the box that allows write access "W", as seen above.

Warning: This will allow all of those users to see everyones cases.  This is not the recommended solution.

The only solution that I know of that may be very difficult if you have a larger user base is to edit each users permissions individually.

Below you can see that I right clicked on the Admin folder under Cases in the Navigator.

All Cases Admin ACL.jpg

Once you have right click and clicked on "Edit Access Control".  Then  you will just uncheck the box under "W" to remove write access, or remove the user all together  if you don't want them viewing any cases.

Hope this helps...

-Ben

0 Likes
mat863 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I had to go a step further and remove both R and W access to the user's personal cases folder.  After removing just the W access, the user was still able to create a case (in ArcSight Web, didn't try the console since I am creating this user as Web Only), which is odd.  After removing both R and W access though, the user receives an error when trying to create a case.  Thanks.
0 Likes
whoamib Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Good to hear that you were able to figure it out!  Thanks for the feedback on the ArcSight quirk; this should be helpful for others also.

-Ben

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.