Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
surferx Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is there a user session timeout setting for the Arcsight console/manager?

Hello All,

In the documentation I see a user session timeout setting for the Web console but I can't find a setting for the local console/manager? Does it exist? Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
gbenga.ogunsaki1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Is there a user session timeout setting for the Arcsight console/manager?

There is a default session timeout for console login which I believe is about 15mins. However, you must be careful when using some of these properties.

To control this, find or add the below property into the manager's 'server.properties. Default value is 900s

service.session.timeout=

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Gbenga

0 Likes
Answer Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

this property is only for "service" type logins, "console" type logins aren't "timeoutable" as far as I know. If they are, I'd like to know how! Even a max duration would be nice to have!

0 Likes
Highlighted
jpvasgard Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi all,

I am currently facing the same problem. PCI DSS requirement 8.5.15 demands a 15 minute session timeout:

If a session has been idle for more than 15 minutes, require the user to re-authenticate to re-activate the terminal or session.

There is also a reference "session timeout" for the arcsight console in the index of the Arcsight ESM Admin Guide. However, it refers to the same page, as the session timeout for ArcSight Web connections (page 68 in the 6.0c version). There indeed seems to be no way to have a console connection time out.

Has anyone gotten ArcSight ESM past a PCI DSS evaluation? Are there recommended compensating controls?

Cheers

JP

0 Likes
Albarus1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What about a 15 Minute ScreenSaver timeout?

0 Likes
jpvasgard Absent Member.
Absent Member.

unfortunately this does not work in a "shared" environment. The console runs on a dedicated windows system, where several users can have access via RDP. Thus if user A forgets to properly log out/close the app, user B could take over the session.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.