Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Trusted Contributor.. anmol.seth Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Logger Upgrade -Help needed with common issues and resolution strategies.

Hi all,

I plan to upgrade my logger from 5.3.1 to 6.5 (5.3 to 5.5, 5.5 to 5.51 and then 5.51 to 6.0)

I would like your help in knowing the common issues that occur during updates and counter strategies before I proceed with the change.
Please help.

Regards
Anmol Seth

Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
balahasan.v1 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Logger Upgrade -Help needed with common issues and resolution strategies.

Hi Anmol,

Is it an Appliance or a Software Upgrade.... For both.. It is straightforward. Just take Backup and follow the exact upgrade order based on how it is mentioned in the Logger Upgrade. But It is ArcSight bro.. So u might end up with surprise..

Re: Logger Upgrade from 5.2 version to 5.5

Re: Logger 5.5 Upgrade Check

https://protect724.hp.com/message/51609#51609

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Thanks for this Balahasan,
It is the software Upgrade.

Regards
Anmol

0 Likes
damianpfister Absent Member.
Absent Member.

A few pointers:

1. Check each BIN file for the upgrade against the provided md5sum, to ensure integrity before uploading to Logger

2. Check that remote archives work as expected with a valid configuration backup is performed before each upgrade

3. Test all Logger functionality, used on a day-to-day basis, after each upgrade before continuing with further upgrades

Rolling back an upgrade that fails is not possible on Logger appliances and not possible on Logger software from version 5.5 onwards, so it is best to ensure the above points are covered.

Support are well placed for upgrade issues, so do reach out to them if you hit challenges. Do not try and force an upgrade through a 2nd time if it fails initially as this can break things further.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Thanks for this Damian,
You have helped a lot.

Regards
Anmol

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Damian,

I came across this problem please help.
Capture.PNG
I did stop logger services using ./loggerd stop .

Please suggest on how to proceed.
Regards,
Anmol

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Anmol,

What versions of Logger are you upgrading from/to?

This error suggests that the required ports are still in use, so you will need to ensure all processes using them are stopped. What is the output of a netstat with regards to these ports?

Any firewall rules blocking access to these ports on the local host?

Damian

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Hi Damian,

Your input is really appreciated
I am upgrading from logger v5.3 to 5.5
On its success i plan to upgrade it to further versions.
Regards
Anmol

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Anmol, checks which ports are open and by which processes using netstat and lsof (google can help you with that). Also make sure you are running the upgrade as the same user which was used for the previous installation. Worth double-checking your local firewall is not blocking ports - your Linux Admin can help here.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.