Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Logger not accessible

Hello experts,

We are facing an issue in the logger where it goes off every month. The logger console is not accessible.It is accessible via SSH though.

The error message says "Cannot communicate with Logger process".

As a solution, we reboot the appliance & it coimes up. I opened a case with Arcsight, but they said its a none issue in the logger. I want to know if it happens to anyone else & if there is any resolution available other that rebooting.

The logger version is 5.3

Please suggest.

Thanks

Biswa

Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Logger not accessible

Also want to know if there is any way we can detect it before it happens & act proactively.

Thanks

Biswa

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The next time it happens try SSH in and restart the apache daemon and give it a few minutes before seeing if you can web in. This only happens once per month?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Try to upgrade your logger version. I have never faced this issue in our environment.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Because you have indicated Logger V5.3 you may wish to upgrade to V5.3SP1.

Because you have indicated that *periodically* your experience Web GUI to be unresponsive you may wish to simply schedule a *periodic* proactive reboot of the appliance. Because your observation is *every month) you may wish to pick a monthly reboot. Because you have indicated that your SSH access remains viable if you find the *periodic* reboot unsavory using the SSH access and *monit* a couple of process restarts, specifically apache, web and aps, with the command '/opt/local/monit/bin/monit restart ###', where '###' is apache, web, aps....

While considering upgrading V5.3 to V5.3SP1 you may also find it advantageous to go ahead and continue from V5.3SP1 to V5.5P1 to gain all improvements.

Thank you,
Doug

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

hi all,

this issue was happening in 5.2 SP1 which I have upgraded to 5.3 just recently. The issue happens here too. Is there any particular reason why it happens.

Nevertheless, upgrading seems to be a good idea.

Thanks

Biswa

0 Likes
Contributor.
Contributor.

We have a similar issue with our connector appliance...it says "Can't connect to logger"..Remember, it's a connector appliance But we are not often working on the appliance, so I can't say that it is periodically...But same answer from support, must be something local with my client pc....

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

I think the best way to think of this is 'Java leaks memory'. The Web interface is constantly 'active' on appliances, be they of the Connector or Logger type. Periodic 'maintenance' may be your long term best course of action. I do not think that it is specific to anything in ARST specific code, although should you find a particularly troublesome appliance submission of logs may help in diagnosing a root-cause that is ARST code specific.

For the Logger you really want to perform periodic and proactive maintenance anyway and one of the things that you would want to consider scheduling is ether or both of the "Global Summary Persistent Defragmentation" and "Database Defragmentation" via the tabbed "Configuration -> System Maintenance" navigational options. Doing either will result in a reboot so 'why not' just put them on your periodic 'to do' maintenance list.

The Connector Appliance has no such equivalent options, just schedule the reboot.

I do find your '30 days' to be a little short in uptime but until you are running a Logger 5.3SP1 or V5.5P1 I really would not debate this any further. For Connector Appliance I would not be running any less that V6.3 and for its Connector Containers I would be moving to the 7.0 framework.

So while I am not passing on a simple 'are you running the latest versions' I am stating 'run the (near) latest versions'!

So while I am not passing on 'live with it' I am stating 'periodic proactive maintenance is your friend'.

And, remain (thirsty) ever diligent my friend.

Thank you,

Doug

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Thanks a lot for the valuable response Doug

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Have you check the Lgger's log file ?

Sometimes  the Lgger's log file 's owner will be set to root:root,  changing it to arcsight:arcsight  maybe solve this problem

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.