Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Moving logger archives to new NFS

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Like many others, we are facing problems with extremely slow searches through archived data. In fact - we would love, if we had seen the "speed" some of you report. Right now, we are doing close to 1:1 searches - searching through 1 days data takes just about 23 hours

In an attempt to get just a bit better performance on the archive-searches, we want to move the NFS-share to a new and faster NAS.

The question is - how do we do this best without loosing connection to the existing archived data? Can we just delete the existing NFS-mount, mount the new NFS with the same name as before, and copy the archives across?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

/Claus

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Moving logger archives to new NFS

Jump to solution

Claus,

If you copy all the archives to another storage and mount it at the same place, you should be fine. The logger software won't know that something has changed. Just make sure the permissions are right and the mount point is the same.

If you stick to this you should be fine.

What version of logger are you seen this extreme slowness?

Vini

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Claus,

If you copy all the archives to another storage and mount it at the same place, you should be fine. The logger software won't know that something has changed. Just make sure the permissions are right and the mount point is the same.

If you stick to this you should be fine.

What version of logger are you seen this extreme slowness?

Vini

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Vini,

Thanks for your answer.

We are on 4.0.1, but are about to upgrade to 5.2 - just wanted to get the NFS in place first

Claus

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ok, there have been massive improvements since v4.

Just make sure you are careful with the upgrade paths as you may have to install a couple of upgrades before you go to 5.2.

Best to read the release notes carefully.

Let us know if you have issues.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Did you manage to do this?

If so, please mark my answer as correct.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Worked out fine 🙂

Thank you for your answer.

After upgrading logger to 5.2 and switching to a new and faster NAS, it actually seems as if searches in archived data are quicker. I'm still don't have my arms over my head - but I am a bit more optimistic 😉

Cheers

Claus

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Glad to hear it worked well!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.