Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Niemand.Richard1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SmartConnector 5.2.4.6326.0 - Operation result cache dynamic size change

Hi All

I have recently updated our SmartConnectors (Windows) to version 5.2.4.6326.0 and am getting spammed by INFORMATIONAL events like the following.

[2012-07-25 03:02:43,895][INFO ][default.com.arcsight.agent.parsers.j$d_$b_][run] Operation result cache dynamic size change from [1000] to [1200] for [DynOpsCacheTuner[1997]]

Doing some digging I found the following description for this configuration in the "agent.properties.default" file.

# The following two properties control operation result caching

# If the following property is set to true, operations which allow operation

# result caching (this is controlled on a per-operation basis) will not be

# evaluated for every event. Instead, the results will be cached on the first

# invocation and then re-used on subsequent calls that share the same args

parser.operation.result.cache.enabled=true

# The size of the operation result cache per parser (used as the initial size

# if the .dynamic property is not empty)

parser.operation.result.cache.size=500

# If set, contains a comma-delimited list of numbers, in pairs: the first

# number of each pair is an amount of free memory (in bytes), and the latter

# number is how big the operation result cache should be if at least that much

# free heap memory is available; the pairs must be in decreasing order, and if

# the free heap memory is less than all of the values, then the operator result

# cache will be disabled; after the last pair are two more numbers (making an

# even number of list entries), namely the time period to tune the cache size

# (in milliseconds) and an increase limit (in percent) -- if this list is

# empty, then parser.operation.result.cache.size is used regardless of the

# amount of free heap memory (based on Runtime.freeMemory()) -- note that all

# numbers are parsed as integers, and therefore need to be at most

# Integer.MAX_VALUE

parser.operation.result.cache.dynamic=268435456,5000,134217728,2500,67108864,1000,33554432,300,16777216,100,30000,20

I am receiving events from the connector, but these events are flooding our log files.

Could anyone shed some light on what these events might mean, as the inline description doesn't help me.

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
dgarciaon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SmartConnector 5.2.4.6326.0 - Operation result cache dynamic size change

Richard,

I have the same problem. In my case, I updated the smartConnector from 5.1.6 to 5.2.4 and I have viewed that CPU consuption has increased about 30%!!!

And of course all the agent.log is full of this kind messages...

Anyone can help us?

Thanks!

0 Likes
vdor Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've noticed that this version has broken my Device Status Monitoring as well...

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Just saying: Thanks guys for posting issues with smart connector versions! If not, every ArcSight Admin has no clue and has to deal with it by himself. And as long as ArcSight doesn't have a quicker notification process for found bugs (like twitter...), the current way to avoid falling into a trap of system malfunctioning is to have a sharp lookout right here in the forum

BTW: I have exactly the same issue...

br Tobias

0 Likes
ld3161 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are seeing the same issues. And it also seems like the WUC connector stops collecting logs from 1 of the three (Application, Security, System) we collect. It is random though. I am opening a ticket and see whats going on.

0 Likes
farid.merchant@ Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Richard,

Here is the explanation that was provided by the HP (ArcSight) Development team on Operation result cache dynamic size change.

The results of parser operations evaluated by the connector are stored in a cache which is implemented in the form of a Map (key,value). There were found to be collisions in the keys of different parser operations results, hence throwing exceptions about incorrect parsing. To address this, the algorithm of calculating the key has been re-designed to avoid/minimize key collision. This means that the cache that holds this information needs more memory to hold more keys and values, and if the events coming in yield operation results with a higher probability of key collision, then the cache will need even more memory. So the amount of memory needed by the cache is not known before-hand, since it also depends on the type of events. Hence, the cache is initialized with some minimum amount of memory, and as when collision needs to be avoided, the connector keeps increasing the amount of memory dedicated to it, depending on its free heap memory. So when this happens, it logs the messages that you have reported. I do not think that these are messages to worry about, because some amount of cache memory resizing is expected. The sizes reported in the messages will not necessarily only go up, depending on many variables, but in general the messages are at the INFO level because they are informational and can be ignored (but could be interesting to Development if any new issues arise).

You have already found the parameter on how to disable it if you want to, change the value below to false and restart the connector.

parser.operation.result.cache.enabled=true.

If you have any further questions, please open a ticket with the Support team and they will help answer your questions.

Regards,

Farid

0 Likes
Highlighted
Niemand.Richard1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for that Farid

I have not given this much thought since I logged the question here, but their response makes sense. Thanks for the info

0 Likes
rudijager Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

> parser.operation.result.cache.enabled=true.

Just curious, is this parameter suppressing the messages in the log or is it for disabling the mechanism?

Regards,

Rudi

0 Likes
rudijager Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nevermind Is fixed in new release. Apparently customer was using an old version. I can confirm that the message you see in the logs has been fixed from version 5.2.7 as per bug id CON-12054

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.