Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
aneeshpskadavil1 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Trends :- what is the best way to create a trend for doing a weekly report .....?

Hi ,

We have currently almost 50 reports that should be sent on weekly basis(On different days.).Now we face bad problems in running the reports.takes too much time to complete.So we wish to do it through trends.We have created some trends as well.But there is something which is not clear for me as of now.Can any body suggest what could be best way to put it.My doubts are with how to set the  partition size and partition retention period.

What exactly is the difference it makes if we took daily,weekly or monthly retention periods.If we have to run weekly reports only then what could be the best retention period.

Currently what we are doing is keep the default but i am sure that there is a much optimized way than this....?Is it advisable to keep short retention periods.....?

Here is what is in my mind now

1)If we have to run weekly reports then we have to select Retention period as weekly.(Similary for monthly reports as well) Please correct me if  i am wrong...

2)If it is for weekly reports it s good to keep short retention periods....like may be 15 days or something ........?

I really would like to see some tips and tricks on the trends......

Thanking in anticipation....

Aneesh Salimkumar

Plz forgive me for any spelling mistakes............

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
stevePGN Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Trends :- what is the best way to create a trend for doing a weekly report .....?

I would suggest setting the partition size to weekly to match your report frequency, and the retention period to whatever you wish.  Trends take up very little space.  I use partion size weekly and rentention period 180 days.  You can use less if you want, but it doens't seem to use much space or impact performance at all.  Try to reduce the number of queries that populate your trends to as few as possible - for example if you are pulling 6 fields for one report and 8 fields for another report, and 5 of the fields are the same, then you should make a single trend with a single query, then just pull the fields you need for a given report from that one trend.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.