Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Automated Process Manager appears to be hung up

Good morning.  Have run into an issue where the Automated Process Manager (APM) appears to be hanging for some reason.  This is not running as a service, but rather I started it manually.  No changes have been made to the modules, as this is still set to the OOB configuration.

I have started the APM in the past with no issue, so this is something that just started.  I was actually starting it this time to set up the modules for the workflows we'll be using, but since it's hanging like this it doesn't respond to my mouse.  Although the Task Manager says that it's "Not reponding", it also shows that the CPU usage for this application changes every few seconds.  I've also attached a screen shot I took showing where it's hanging.  Not sure if it's related or not, but I also noticed that the Mail icon hasn't greyed-out even though it successfully connected to the messaging service. 

Any suggestions before I open a ticket with support?

Thanks!

0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member..

it may be busy doing stuff.

best option would be to debug it and see if logs are generated. there is also the database that can be a bottleneck too.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thanks for your response, but I'm not sure I quite understand what your suggesting.  Do you mean to kill the application using the Task Manager, and then set up something to "debug" it?  As far as I can find, it doesn't actually generate a log anywhere, just what you see on the screen.

Thanks agian, but could you explain a little further?

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Lee, the APM is busy doing stuff.  To set parameters to capture a log file you will have to open the "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Asset Manager 9.41 en\amsrv\amsrv.cfg" file (using NotePad) and add the following...

{ General
  LogFile="C:\\AMENVIRONMENT\\AMAPM.log"
  LogFileSize=1024000

Give any file path/name you want and size.

While a task is processing there will not be any messages in the log file (unless indicated from what is executing under that task).  When it looks like it is hanging, kill the session, then refer to the log file for any errors.  If no errors then the task is executing against all related records in AM; once done the next scheduled task will trigger.

The messaging icon does not look greyed out due to screen refresh which cannot happen while your cursor is hourglass.

All else, disable all scheduled tasks then start each one at a time to determine which one causes the look of hanging.

Have you also performed a diagnostic/repair option using Designer application?  If not then I would just to see what results.  If there are plenty of broken links then this could impact a scheduled task process.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thanks Mark!  I'll do as you suggested and see what kind of results we get.  And thanks for the information on setting up the logfile.  I had actually tried that, but didn't put the quotes around the directory so taht should solve that piece.

Will let you know how it turns out.

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

The "Compiling Scripts" along with the last Task listed being the BST_PROCUR WF execution group suggests it is stuck processing a Workflow.  Most likely something has either locked (and teh RDBMS has not identified it as a Deadlock) or you have fallen intyo an infinite loop.

Not sure what all you may have tried already, but one thing to check if this happens again is to use the HPAM Client to look at the "amWFInstance" table.  This will allow you to see the most recent WF Instance which have been created.

There are a number of other things to try, but IMO this is the one most likely to point to the culprit.

Cheers,

Russell

Russell Parker, CITAM, CHAMP, CSAM
President - Golden Ratio, Inc.
Russ.Parker@GoldenRatioInc.com
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thanks Russ.  It's now in the hands of HP Software Support, who has a ton of information and has been also working with the DBA at the client to determine what might be happening, including information taken from the WF Instance table.

Thanks agian, and will update once we get the solution.

Lee

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.