Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

IBM PVU Software Counters not calculating

Good morning. I've been trying to get a few new IBM software counters set up, with the License type of "By PVU", to calculate, but I'm not having success getting any results. The latest SLO package has been installed, so the new tables for the Core Factor Value and IBM Consumption Points were created in the database as described by the SLO documentation. I then ran the script called "IBM Core Factor Action", which created records with core factors in the table called amCoreFactorResults. The next step follow from the documentation was to execute the "IBM Installation pre-count" script, which is supposed to "pre-calculate the consumed license points of IBM PVU products", but I am not getting ANY records in the amIBMConsPoints table. Are there other steps I am missing to get these to calculate? The licenses have been set up correctly with the License type of "By PVU", and the counters created, but nothing is calculated when you execute either the script "IBM Installation pre-count" or the counters. I thought that I might have to check the checkbox for the bConfirmed field on the Core Factor Results records, but the documentation says that is only to be checked if you want to use something OTHER THAN was is calculated by the "IBM Core Factor Action" script, so I have left that unchecked. Has anyone set this type of software counter up and been successful? If so, could you please tell me the steps you used? If you need any other information, please ask and I'll get it for you. Thanks!
Tags (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Absent Member..

Lee,

I also have recently started looking at the IBM PVU counters provided by HP and had similar issues.

I am taking the 'Lifecycle' approach and started with the License and Maintenance (S&S) contracts related to the IBM POE's, then created the correct license models, etc... Then when I ran into similar issues I reached out to HP.

Working with the HP Support team we learned from them after they talked with the development team was that the counters in HPAM with 'ILMT' in their names are 'reserved' for use only when you’re using the Connect-It ILMT import scenario. So I am starting over attempting to create the counters 'By PVU' in the same manner you described.

I have an open HP Support ticket in with them with the goal of getting to an 'IBM by PVU' counter working as promised by HP. I’ll update this post as I learn more.

Has anyone out there been able to get these to work yet? If so please let us know.

Thanks,

Bob T.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thanks Bob.  I'll update you with any information I get from HP Support here in this thread.  I also have a ticket open with them to see if we can get this resolved.  It would be nice if their documentation laid all this out in simple 1, 2, 3 steps.  🙂

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Update:

Based on HP's direction to not use IBM counters with ILMT in their names (these are used when importing ILMT data to HPAM) I went in and attempted to create a counter IBM WebSphere MQ but there are NO IBM counters provided out of the box for the product. I looked at all of the IBM counters provided and only found 16 out of the 2430 did not have ILMT in their names. I sent HP an email asking them if we shouldn’t be using the ILMT based counters how do we build the counters that calculate for PVU. 

Knowing that the Counters > Installations/Utilizations > Criteria and Calculations fields are the keys to getting PVU calculations I’m assuming there may need to be some scripting involved.

Also, I have requested from HP better documentation on how to implement and use the SAM BP/SLO module as well, I let them know that these struggles can be overcome by producing better, ‘real world’ use case documentation with scenarios that are aligned to your customers needs. As an example: since HP has created all the DDMI/UD, Connect-It, and HPAM elements to support PVU calculations for IBM WebSphere Application Server for both ILMT and DDMI/UD, why not take the next step to provide a concise ‘How To Guide’ for this specific application, with that we would be able to apply the process to the rest of the IBM applications.

Until I have more...

Bob

Absent Member..

Update: 2015-08-11

Met with HP Support Friday the 7th

After an hour of building out a new counter for IBM WebSphere MQ we still didnt have it working, seems that there needs to be scripts written to map the 'Scope of the rights to be counted' and the 'Scope of the installations or utilizations to be counted'.  

I informed HP that this is not the desired process, and that we dont want to have to script everyone of the products counters.

More to follow next week, HP Support Im working with is out this week.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Bob.  Thanks for all the updates and information.  I've gone through the documentation that comes with the SLO package and also Connect-It, and wouldn't you know it, but I couldn't find one mention of an ILMT scenario, nor is it mentioned in the documentation that specifically discusses the counters calculated "By PVU", which is pretty much every OOB IBM counter (and ILMT is in the name of the counter) included with the package.  All they mention about the IBM connectors has to do with WebSphere MQ, Lotus Notes or Tivoli.  There is a folder included with the SLOBP called "ILMT", but there is only a scenario in the folder.  No notes whatsoever, which I'm sure would be helpful.

It sounds like you might be making some headway with who you're working with from Support, so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll come up with a way to set them up.  I've done some research on my own about how the PVU licensing works, and it would be quite an undertaking to try to script what would be needed for full-capacity and sub-capacity PVU counters, which is something I don't really want to get into.

Thanks again for the updates, and I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I find anything else out about this.

Lee

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Update: Another 90 minute session with HP Support... and still no 'Non-ILMT' PVU counter.

They are 'researching the scripts' to see whats missing.

More to follow... 

Absent Member..

Hello Bob.  Just thought I'd ask if you had heard anything more from Support?   Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that this will only work with DDMI, as the provided Connect-It scenario is not yet set up to work with UD.  Do you know if this is true?  If so, any word from them when it might work with their latest product for discovery?

Thanks for all the information.  Much appreciated!

Lee

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hmm

from this thread and former experience with SAM, it looks like the proper licensing true up is still a 'would like to have' in AM?

there are several bits that are not done properly.... counters that lag behind sw releases, incomplete downgrade licensing, etc...

Regards,

V.
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Hello. I am having the same issue as described in the thread.  Has this been resolved?

Tim W

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

All,

Sorry I dropped off the radar on this we are upgrading to UD/UCMDB and I had to put the IBM PVU issues on the back burner. To date I do not have a working solution from HP on this. But I can confirm the 'ILMT' counter are only for use when taking data from ILMT.

I did attempt to create seperate PVU based counters (working with Jason Dowd of HP Support) but didnt get the solution completed. If you open a ticket with HP Support see if you can get Jason assigned to it, he seems to be the Guru for the IBM counters.

Ill update again if I find the bandwidth to work on this anytime soon.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

IBM's product portfolio is quite expansive. With a wide range of products comprising 18,860 different part numbers within IBM’s Passport Advantage Program, each available at nine different price levels, many large organizations find it difficult to maintain a solid understanding of the products relevant to their unique needs. 

IBM uses about 270 different types of license metrics. The Processor Value Unit metric is very popular for server-based products within the International Passport Advantage Agreement (IPAA). And there is a special type of licensing available, which is used more and more frequently due to the increased use of virtualized environments, such as Processor Value Unit (PVU) Sub-capacity licensing.

By default, IBM customers are subject to full-capacity licensing, i.e. they need to license all activated physical processor cores, regardless of whether the IBM software actually uses all of the computing power. If customers meet the sub-capacity licensing prerequisites of IBM Passport Advantage, they do not need to license all physical cores available and hence save if they use virutualizations.

Considering the complex rules around various terms with the sub-capacity programe such as Server based; Host based; Virtulization based; enterprise application type; multicore; socket; chip max; core allocated to virtual pool; high water mark and weekly/bi-weekly/monthly reporting etc... I believe the ideal method is to use the ILMT server and agent tool and pull that PVU data and Audit report to HPE AM SAM report using the ILMT counters. 

It would not be feasible to compute a reliable and 'acceptable' audit report using UD and scipts. Moreover as and when new processor technology arrives, new apps arrive, new os arrive, etc, eg ILMT version 9 would address those and not HPE to update those complex rules. By the way ILMT v7.5 reports need to be revalidated as they have been found to have 30% errors.

Also as ILMT is not a traditional Software Asset Management tool, and is also limited to IBM products on the one hand and no contracts or entitlements can be managed within this tool, it is ideal to import (using Rest API i beieve) to HPE SAM.

ILMT is a free tool. Most large customers (with greater than 1000 employees) would already be under PassportAdvantage program.

I am keen to know what versions of IBM enterprise applications are covered by ILMTv9  and what are not covered ?

Also does HPE AM support ILMT ver 9.02 or higher ?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.