Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Installing AM 9.40 P4

Jump to solution

Hello experts,

Our company is currently using AM 9.40 P1 and is planning to upgrade to AM 9.40 P4.

We've received the P4 file, but looks like the release notes doesn't have any installation instruction. It's a full installation package.

So any tips on how to do this upgrade is welcome. Please mention if any backup is needed and how to take the backup in case it's needed, since we were told no database changes will take place, only client change.

Also, how to update the web client?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

It is my understanding any patch prior to AM9.50 is always a full installation so this should be treated like AM was never installed.  Regardless, I would always take a full backup of the database for safety sake; your DBA administrator can help with this.  It is also wise to have the previous installation files in case you need to start over as there are no rollback procedures with full installations.  It is always also wise to have backup copies of the APM ini file (ie. amsrvcf.ini under \amsrv\bin), Connections (ie. amdb.ini under C:\ProgramData\HP\AssetManager\conf), License (ie. LicFile.txt under \autopass\data), and package.properties under \websvc and \webtier (hopefully I have documented them all).

I have experienced database structure changes even when they state there are none.  To really know whether there is a difference, copy the folder "\config" for both versions to a working directory and compare the two.  The files in this folder is the out of the box database structure.  WinMerge is an excellent "free" tool that can perform the compare and identify whether differences exist and where they exist.

Since your version is still prior to AM9.50 I would also tag, check definitions, and re-deploy the web.  For the future, AM9.50 P1 is the last full installation other than major versions.  Any minor version change (ie. AM9.50 P2 - P7) are deltas which means installed software application files just need to be replaced (this also could include web re-deploy).

Final note, if anything goes wrong with the upgrade then rolling back completely may not be needed.  This obviously depends on the type of errors/issues as it could be just a simple adjustment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

However you obtained the patch file is the same as any instructions.  Normal guides, patches, and manuals can be found from the portal https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/mySupport. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I did go through the 'Installation' manual in the /doc folder. I've understood the installation details.

Just want to confirm two things -

1. After installation, do we have to re-deploy the the .war files for Web tier and web service?

2. I could not find any rollback steps. Suppose the upgrade goes wrong, do you have any suggestions on how to rollback this upgrade? A simple un-installation of AM will do, or do I have to consider some other factors?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

It is my understanding any patch prior to AM9.50 is always a full installation so this should be treated like AM was never installed.  Regardless, I would always take a full backup of the database for safety sake; your DBA administrator can help with this.  It is also wise to have the previous installation files in case you need to start over as there are no rollback procedures with full installations.  It is always also wise to have backup copies of the APM ini file (ie. amsrvcf.ini under \amsrv\bin), Connections (ie. amdb.ini under C:\ProgramData\HP\AssetManager\conf), License (ie. LicFile.txt under \autopass\data), and package.properties under \websvc and \webtier (hopefully I have documented them all).

I have experienced database structure changes even when they state there are none.  To really know whether there is a difference, copy the folder "\config" for both versions to a working directory and compare the two.  The files in this folder is the out of the box database structure.  WinMerge is an excellent "free" tool that can perform the compare and identify whether differences exist and where they exist.

Since your version is still prior to AM9.50 I would also tag, check definitions, and re-deploy the web.  For the future, AM9.50 P1 is the last full installation other than major versions.  Any minor version change (ie. AM9.50 P2 - P7) are deltas which means installed software application files just need to be replaced (this also could include web re-deploy).

Final note, if anything goes wrong with the upgrade then rolling back completely may not be needed.  This obviously depends on the type of errors/issues as it could be just a simple adjustment.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.