Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
antonioandolini Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Collection Server Status Unavailable

ZAM 7.5 IR 15, Windows 2003 SP2 Server, VMWare session.

Sometimes the Collection Server Status changes to "unavailable". I have to manually run ColSvrCore.exe to get it in the "Started" status.

Is this a known issue?

Also, from another question I've asked - why do I not get all of my workstations / servers in the Inventory? I have 45 out of over 400. I have repeatedly run the Remote Client Installation, and the workstations go from "unregistered" to "Successful Install", but never "Registered".

Is there something I should be doing that I am not? I have rebooted the server and re-ran the RCI several times, but it doesn't seem to matter.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Collection Server Status Unavailable

Antonioandolini,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://support.novell.com/forums/faq_general.html

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
thofstetterbugz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: the Collection Server status... is your Collection Server generating .DMP files in its own directory? Or is it just stopping spontaneously without generating a DMP file?

Next time it happens, could you email me the ColSrvCoreEvent log at t.d.hofstetter@gmail.com?

RE: the workstations not appearing in inventory... are these Windows boxes or Linux machines? Can you ping each of these workstation from the Collection Server it's assigned to? Can you ping the Collection Server from the workstation? If pinging doesn't work both directions, the inventory can't happen.

If pinging works both directions, you can place the Client on one of these affected workstations into diagnostic mode by creating a CPS.INI (plain text) in the Client's ...\Bin directory and adding the following two lines to it:

[CollectionClient]
diagnostic=1

That forces the Client to log diagnostic information to an Event log on the workstation. After you create, edit, and save that INI file, restart the Client on that machine. The log it generates will probably give a pretty good clue as to why it's not communicating with its Collection Server.

Chances are very good that you have only one or two issues that are common to all of the Clients - once the fix is discovered for one and implemented on the rest, they should all start working as expected.

-- Tim --

antonioandolini;1646978 wrote:
ZAM 7.5 IR 15, Windows 2003 SP2 Server, VMWare session.

Sometimes the Collection Server Status changes to "unavailable". I have to manually run ColSvrCore.exe to get it in the "Started" status.

Is this a known issue?

Also, from another question I've asked - why do I not get all of my workstations / servers in the Inventory? I have 45 out of over 400. I have repeatedly run the Remote Client Installation, and the workstations go from "unregistered" to "Successful Install", but never "Registered".

Is there something I should be doing that I am not? I have rebooted the server and re-ran the RCI several times, but it doesn't seem to matter.

-- Tim --
0 Likes
antonioandolini Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It does create .DMP files. I can't email them from this account and will have to send it later. They are all 41k in size.

They are Windows PCs.

One of the workstation's Event Viewer has a lot of, "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (59)."

I can't find anything as it relates directly to ZAM in the Event Viewer, or should I be looking somewhere else? What is the name of the log that I should be looking at and where would it be? I don't see it.

I can ping in both directions. I can remote control the workstation as well.

Thank you for taking the time to help out. I was beginning to think that this forum was just for show.
0 Likes
thofstetterbugz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you - I've been swamped just lately.

If your Collection Server is generating .DMP files, let's have you peek at your Enterprise Options (ZAM Manager, menu, Tools -> Enterprise Options). In the lower half of the Enterprise Options dialog, in the "Track Lost and Found" area, try unchecking both Hardware and Software. On a very few specific machines under very specific conditions, Lost & Found can trigger Collection Server failures like you've described. That issue is currently being studied by Novell's software engineering staff. For most installations, Lost & Found provides no measurable benefit... so you'll very probalby never notice its absence except that your Collection Server(s) will run more reliably.

-- Tim --

antonioandolini;1650944 wrote:
It does create .DMP files. I can't email them from this account and will have to send it later. They are all 41k in size.

They are Windows PCs.

One of the workstation's Event Viewer has a lot of, "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (59)."

I can't find anything as it relates directly to ZAM in the Event Viewer, or should I be looking somewhere else? What is the name of the log that I should be looking at and where would it be? I don't see it.

I can ping in both directions. I can remote control the workstation as well.

Thank you for taking the time to help out. I was beginning to think that this forum was just for show.

-- Tim --
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.