DaryRo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Default Collection Option Set

I currently use multiple collectors that I have created to scan different locations based upon IP Ranges. I have created them so that the collection is spread out over a one week period to minimize network activity.

I have been directed to change my collection so that it happens every Sunday. All machines in the company are now "woken up" every Sunday to receive any necessary patches. I will be changing my collection schedule so that my inventories take place on Sunday also but I have a question about the Default Collection Option Set.

Would it be better to make use of the Default Collection Option Set or should I create a separate Collection Set for this task? Also since I have only targeted specific IP Ranges in the past what should my settings be to ensure that I am looking at the entire network?

I also do not remember - when they wake up the systems on the network will the machines inventory from the Login Page or do they actually need to be logged onto the network to complete the inventory.
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
wastins Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Default Collection Option Set

DaryRo;1782604 wrote:
Would it be better to make use of the Default Collection Option Set or should I create a separate Collection Set for this task?

I always create my own option sets and give them meaningful titles to make it a little easier to track what is going on. There is really no need (or advantage) to using the Default Option Set.
DaryRo;1782604 wrote:
Also since I have only targeted specific IP Ranges in the past what should my settings be to ensure that I am looking at the entire network?

If you really want that one option set to collect from all clients then just the default settings in a new option set will work as long as you select a valid schedule on the first tab when creating the option set.
Make sure that any new option set you create that you wish to use is actually associated to collection servers. Look at the properties of the collection servers and if they are set to inherit standard option sets then add the new option set in the Collection Server, Domain properties, if they are not set to inherit then add the new option set to each collection server.

Warwick Queensland Health
0 Likes
DaryRo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Default Collection Option Set

Thanks for your input - I agree about naming the collectors, all of mine are currently named, I will continue to do so.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.