mricketts Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Updating ZAM from base to IR 18

I have inherited a ZAM install at 7.50.0011 that is in serious need of an upgrade. I see that IR 18 is available, but need to see if I can do it in one shot. Can I just update using IR 18, or do I need to start with an earlier update and work my way to IR 18? And what should I expect as far as time and reboots? Do IR updates take a considerable amount of time and will I have to reboot? The database server that ZAM is installed on hosts databases for other applications as well and I need to know if I will be affecting the other SQL dependent applications.

Sorry for the noob questions, but this is all new to me.

Thanks!
0 Likes
6 Replies
wastins Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Updating ZAM from base to IR 18

You should be able to go right to IR18 the IRs are cumulative.
It took about 10 minutes on my test box and db.
It will touch the database but will not make changes outside the ZAM DB so your other DBs have no need to be concerned realistically.

Cheers,

Warwick Queensland Health
0 Likes
mricketts Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What about a reboot? I have ZAM installed on my SQL server, and the SQL server hosts databases for other apps. So if I have to reboot the server then all of the SQL dependent applications will lose connectivity. Do you know if a reboot is required?

Thanks again!

Marty
0 Likes
Highlighted
wastins Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Which component of ZAM is installed on your SQL server?
If it is just a collection client and the database then there is no reason to reboot.
If the one or more of the ZAM server components (Collection Server, Task Server, Web Server) is installed on the actual SQL server then you may need to reboot after everything is done. It is not generally an absolute requirement but I find it to be a good rule of thumb. I think I saw a post recommending that in IR18's case in particular recently.

0 Likes
wastins Absent Member.
Absent Member.

wastins;1796848 wrote:
I think I saw a post recommending that in IR18's case in particular recently.

Here was that post from Dustytrails in another thread http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/asset-management/371047-unable-submit-network-discovery-task-post1784302.html#poststop

0 Likes
dustytrails Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I contacted Novell about this and suggested that they notify the clients that a reboot is required and they pointed out that there is a disclaimer on the patching saying that reboots are sometimes necessary. I would plan on rebooting that server. Your databse downtime should be less than 5 minutes. You can always time this upgrade for the next time the OS or database is being patched to minimize downtime.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra
0 Likes
mricketts Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have the collection server and everything installed on the SQL server, so it appears that I should plan a reboot regardless. I have planned to do this during my maintenance window over the weekend.

I appreciate your input greatly,

Marty
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.