Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
jjdeken Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Automated Process Manager Execution Time

Hello there. I appear to be having a slight issue with the Automated Process Manager and I am hoping someone will be able to provide me some direction. I have an execution group configured to run at 8:55 at night so it will kick off some workflows within Asset Manager to run. As I follow the log the execution group within APM is not getting kicked off until 11:00 at night instead. I am concerned about why the execution group is not getting kicked off at the time it is scheduled to be kicked off by the APM. There appears to be nothing blocking it or causing this.

Since this is not being started at the right time it is causing a DB blocking to occur because there are other things running later at night. I am unsure of the cause but I did check the time zones on the servers and they are set to the right time zones. 

Anyways, has anyone ran in to this before or does anyone have any ideas of the cause? Any direction provided is appreciated. If additional information is needed please let me know. Thanks in advance. Version 9.40 build 10542 if that matters.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Yensi_A_AM Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Automated Process Manager Execution Time

Hello Jjdeken,

Thanks for the explanation, I am wondering if the excecution group just run the metioned workflow?

Have you try to create an another instance of AMP that just run this excecution group? Here is a KM: https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM1331817 which explains how to create it. Please keep in mind that you can only have an excecution group activated at the same time bewteen all APM instances.

Please let know if it helps.

Regards,

Yensi Araya

Software Support

hpe.com

Hewlett Packard Enterprise

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. Mark Cullen_1 Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Seems like there is a conflict with one or more other scheduled tasks (ie. execution groups).  The APM service handles these tasks one at a time and doesn't start another until previous is complete.  This gets into the number of records needed to be processed.  As an example...Scheduled task for 8:30pm needs to process n number of records which, in turn, takes two and a half hours to complete (approx. until 11:00pm).  A closer review of the APM log file should show when scheduled tasks actually start compared with scheduled start time.  The difference showing how long a previous scheduled task takes to complete.

The other HP support post is a potential resolution for you to get around any conflicts since each APM service handles separate scheduled tasks.

I hope this makes sense.

0 Likes
jjdeken Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Thank you both for the valuable information. If I were to set up another APM to run to assist with performance will that require more licenses or cause a conflict with how we are licensed? I would not want to do this if it would cause a licensing/compliance issue.  Please let me know if additional licensing is required to do this task. Thanks again for both of the responses.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. Mark Cullen_1 Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

I know of no conflict related to multiple APM services.  Just remember each service must not process same scheduled task.

0 Likes
Yensi_A_AM Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Good Day Jdeken,

Always is a pleasure to assit you.

Sure,  we can have 2 instances connected to the same database to do different task without any problems, you don't need any other licence for it.

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.