Ian Walker Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Downgrade Software Counters

Hi All,

I have a tricky challenge that I'm struggling to overcome and I hope someone out there has come across a similar situation in the past and can offer some words of advice.

I'm using AM9.3 with SAM Best Practice.

I want to create a series of counters that can handle downgrade rights where the surplus rights can only be passed down a limited number of versions.

So let’s keep the data simple, and let’s say for the sake of argument that you can only pass surplus down one version, so using the numbers you have…

Licence                 Install                    Surplus

2010                       14                           3                              11

2007                       5                              15                           -10

2003                       2                              6                              -4

Out of the box, AM can string the 2010-2007-2003 together, and at the end I will have a overall compliance position of -3, which is correct. But if there is the limit in placem then it looks different.

So the rights for 2010-2007 would show a surplus of +1

The rights for 2007-2003 would show -14 because you cannot pass the spares from 2010 down to 2003       

I had thought of creating duplicate counters for the counters that are used in mulltiple streams, and then linking them separately, but as the number of versions you can pass surplus licences through increases, the number of duplicated records becomes overly cumbersome.

Has anyone else come across this, and if so, what approach did you use?

All help and advice greatfully received.

Thanks

Ian.

0 Likes
3 Replies
RobC_TR Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Downgrade Software Counters

I'm not expert on this but on the surface it would appear that you need to split the counters, after all you could drop four from 2007 to 2003 and then the full surplas from 2010 to 2007 to give you the net result you want. However, this only works in this example, and to do this more dynamically sounds like an interesting challenge...

My best advise to you would be to bring this to the ITAM practioners forum that are run, there had been two in depth sessions on SAM specifically. You may need to request access if you do not already have it:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITAM-Practitioners-Forum/bd-p/sws-ITAMPractForum

0 Likes
Ian Walker Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Rob,

thanks for the response. As you say, the 'net result' option does only work in this type of case, and it was overly simplified for the purposes explanation in the post.

I am looking for a solution that allows the end-user to easily configure which counters are included/excluded rather than it being a programming task.

I tried the link you suggested for the ITAM forum but I do not have access, to whom would I address a request to have access - do you know?

Thanks again.

Ian.

0 Likes
Highlighted
RobC_TR Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have sent you a PM with names, to avoid exposing e-mail addresses (playing it safe).

R.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.