Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Atul72 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Importing of data in AM Database through excel

Jump to solution
Dear Experts,

My requirement is to import all the data to the AM database in one shot from an excel
I tried to import the following things first. Model, Asset Tag and Serial No. As model lies in am model table and Asset tag and serial number lies in amasset table, and my models are already created in Model table.
While making the mappings, I was unable to find the lModelId field in am asset table, as this is the primary key of ammodel table.
Again, I tried to import the data with the following mappings:
Select the amasset table and map the Asset tag , serial number field. Then under mapped the modelname with links->model->name.
Finally the thing which I have got ODBC errors related to data duplication while inserting data and after importing the model name is not coming in the form automatically.
Thus , I need to confirm whether it is possible to load all the data in single shot.
Secondly, if yes, then how to make the mappings between the links.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. MTWalsh Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Importing of data in AM Database through excel

Jump to solution
When I'm doing these kinds of import, especially if the dataset is large, I tend to do them in 2 separate imports, one for the models, one for the assets. When I do the one for the assets, I link to the model name only and set it to not allow the creation of new models. For the 2nd one, start your mapping in amPortfolio, link to amAsset to put in your serial number, make AssetTag your reconciliation key and link to model.name (again, with creation of new models turned off) to link the portfolio item to a model. On your asset.serialno link, pin that to follow the link and don't define a reconciliation key in the asset table.

I do them this way to make sure the models are in there correctly first, then you don't need to worry about model when you do the portfolio item mapping. You can do it all at once, but I usually find that to be more work and more error prone.

Also, note the part about pinning the asset link so that you don't need a reconciliation key in amAsset. This works as long as you are not doing batches (which I'm guessing you aren't here). If you were doing batches, you would define a reconciliation key in amAsset.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
MNB AC Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Im no expert, but 1st delete all the data you have imported already.
Then remember you should map the model and parent model

Let me know!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. MTWalsh Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
When I'm doing these kinds of import, especially if the dataset is large, I tend to do them in 2 separate imports, one for the models, one for the assets. When I do the one for the assets, I link to the model name only and set it to not allow the creation of new models. For the 2nd one, start your mapping in amPortfolio, link to amAsset to put in your serial number, make AssetTag your reconciliation key and link to model.name (again, with creation of new models turned off) to link the portfolio item to a model. On your asset.serialno link, pin that to follow the link and don't define a reconciliation key in the asset table.

I do them this way to make sure the models are in there correctly first, then you don't need to worry about model when you do the portfolio item mapping. You can do it all at once, but I usually find that to be more work and more error prone.

Also, note the part about pinning the asset link so that you don't need a reconciliation key in amAsset. This works as long as you are not doing batches (which I'm guessing you aren't here). If you were doing batches, you would define a reconciliation key in amAsset.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Atul72 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Walsh,

Thanks for the reply
0 Likes
Atul72 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
ok
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.