Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Mouad_1 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Mass deleting records : tooo slow !

Hello Experts,

Great to talk to you.

My question is : Why Asset manager is taking that much time to delete records of any table/module.

We've been strugling with this perf issue since AM 5.20 (Now we moved to AM 9.50, but still the same behavior)

Sometimes deleting a single record can take up to one whole minute, so when it comes to hunders .. end users just can't wait that much.

We've been told to operate at the DB level, but we really really dont' want to do this, because first we need an official guide from HP to do it, and second, if that guide exists, i doubt it will be usefull for every type of data (amPortfolio, amEmplDept, amAsset .. etc)

So what is the best practice about mass deleting a set of AM records ?

Thanks.

Mouad

Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
ran_b Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Mass deleting records : tooo slow !

Greetngs Mouad!

Thank you for posting your query!

There are couple of maintenance activities to be included in periodical maintenance to keep the database compact. E.x.

• Deleting instances of finished workflows
  • Delete records in Rights/Utilizations count (amRightsUsesCount) table

Please let us know whetrher the above tasks are periodically executed, however, the issue persists.

Regards

Ranjan Bhattacharya

HPE Software.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.

There is only 66 recods in amRightsUsesCount.

And can you please elaborate more on "Deleting instances of finished workflows"

We don't use AM Workflows at all.

Most of the work done on AM, is :

- Rarely about Natures/Models 

- And moslty about managing Assets/Portfolio and their assignement to Users (amEmpldept)

Could it be about broken links between those tables ?

I also have to mention that, the "Diagnostics/Repair DB" done from Application Designer does report errors (Mostly about Mandatory fields). Can this be of any relation with the removal of records ?, Does AM check again the consistency of all related records (through links) while deleting .. ?

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi  Mouad!

The amRightsUsesCount table gows if SAM module is used; in this scenario we can set this possibility aside. Second, since you don't use Workflows, delete an instance of a finished workflow also may not apply. Anyway, here is information related to this task:

Performance degrades in case amWfInstance, amWfOccurEvent and amWfWorkItem tables grows big. Please check the number of records in each of the tables. The completed workflow instances can be deleted as part of periodical maintenance task. This can be automated through “Delete the executed workflow instances” workflow available out-of-box. You may want reviewing following section:

Advanced Use guide > Chapter 8: Workflow > Deleting instances of finished workflows

Your suspect of broken links is worth investigation. Asset Manager database is highly relational. Such issues are experienced in case a record is deleted directly from the database without taking care of linked records. You may want performing repair of the database from application designer. In most instances it fixes broken links. Make sure backing up the database before proceeding. Please let us know the result.

Regards

Ranjan Bhattacharya

HPE Software

Frequent Contributor.

Thanks a lot.

I will continue trouble shooting from that point using App Designer.

I can't do it live on production, so I'll ony let you know the result (if any) once I perform all required tasks on non-Prod environement (Will take a while).

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Detailed steps for repair activity:

• Backup the database using RDBMS native tool or 3rd party backup software
  • Connect to the database using Application designer as 'Admin' account
  • Go to Action/ Diagnostics / Repair database menu
  • Select all tables
  • Specify the name and the location of the log file
  • Select all except 'Check validity of records' option
  • Select the 'Repair' radio button
  • Click Start

Ranjan Bhattacharya

HPE Software

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.