Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Absent Member.. warrenf Absent Member..
Absent Member..

RESTful Integration to AM

Jump to solution

Greetings All,

Is anyone using the RESTful (or REST) web services that accompany the AM Web Service deployment? If so, is there any documentation that you can share, because the default docs library doesn't appear to contain very much regarding using the RESTful web services. I am hoping (against all hope) that the RESTful web services might be easier to use than the AM SOAP services, as they are actually quite confusing.

TIA

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member..

Re: RESTful Integration to AM

Jump to solution

I was eventually forced into a corner (OK maybe it wasn't as dire as that) and managed get an REST example from the AM 9.40 install source. Still no official documentation on SOAP/REST services from HP! For those of you interested the 'raql' subfolder in the AM940 'samples' folder, gave me enough to get started with the AM RESTful services.

I was able to crowbar their example into an OO flow I am working on, and it worked! There is more than a little jiggery pokery required to actually use the data the service returns, but it is better than nothing right. At least OO is versatile enough to handle the data returned.

For those of you without a 9.40 installation to hand, the 'raql' folder is zipped and attached to this post.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Frequent Contributor.. George D. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Jump to solution

We avoided the Asset Manager Web Services, and Connect-IT in general for our more complicated integration requirements.   We wrapped the Asset Manager API (DLL - use JNA) and exposed it as an OSGI component inside Apache ServiceMix.    We are now writing our more complicated system workflows using camel-routes.    Writing multi-point integrations with something like connect-it, is like chewing on bricks.

I'll ask the powers that be and see if we can share some of the code dealing with Connection Pooling, and transaction support (transaction demarcation under aries Transaction Manager).

Trusted Contributor.. Flavio Bianchi Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

On the other hand, we are using .net to implement am api functions in an exposed webservice (but it can be done with WCF too).

I think your options higly depends on your server hw/sw configuration and your program skill. There is no simply way, but JAVA and .NET implementation are very flexible and powerfull.

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.. George D. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Jump to solution

That and the debuggers actually work (until you get to the native code that is)..

The debugger in connect-it is quite awful and can't even remember what line it's in properly.   No ability to handle 64-bit numbers from a database source, and the list goes on.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

That solution sounds compelling.

Thanks for the insight George.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

I was eventually forced into a corner (OK maybe it wasn't as dire as that) and managed get an REST example from the AM 9.40 install source. Still no official documentation on SOAP/REST services from HP! For those of you interested the 'raql' subfolder in the AM940 'samples' folder, gave me enough to get started with the AM RESTful services.

I was able to crowbar their example into an OO flow I am working on, and it worked! There is more than a little jiggery pokery required to actually use the data the service returns, but it is better than nothing right. At least OO is versatile enough to handle the data returned.

For those of you without a 9.40 installation to hand, the 'raql' folder is zipped and attached to this post.

View solution in original post

Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you Warrenf, but i can't see the attach

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

nothing...  😞

Be sure to choose a file and then press Add Attachment...

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Now?

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Ha! It was a browser issue (trusty old Chrome sorted that out - boo to Internet Exploder). 'Add Attachment' adds a new attachment field, it does not upload the attachment. Nevertheless... the zip is now uploaded.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Perfect! Thank you for sharing your solution!

0 Likes
stschwartz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Can you point me to the documentation for the HPAM Web Services (SOAP)?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.