Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SAM manager role/profile and Manage Software wizard

Jump to solution

Logged into HPAM v9 with SAM manager role I can see the Manage Software wizard which I want to use to add new licence rights to a contract. I am able to step through the wizard (manage software licence + installations, Create a licence, Select model) but when I click "Finish" the wizard fails to complete and I get a warning about "insufficient rights".

If I can see the wizard and go through it populating data why can't I complete it?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: SAM manager role/profile and Manage Software wizard

Jump to solution

I know you don't want to hear this but it is due to that role not having sufficient rights.  The error messages will tell which table in question the role needs security rights.

Just because something comes oob doesn't mean it will work; there are always other factors that need to be analyzed (ie. structure changes, current security, workflow processes, new/different mandatory elements, etc.).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

I know you don't want to hear this but it is due to that role not having sufficient rights.  The error messages will tell which table in question the role needs security rights.

Just because something comes oob doesn't mean it will work; there are always other factors that need to be analyzed (ie. structure changes, current security, workflow processes, new/different mandatory elements, etc.).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hello Mark,

You're right, I didn't want to hear that but now I know I didn't imagine it and also where to start looking for a solution.

thanks

Angela

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Angela,

No worries.  Let's start looking at the actual error messages.  If you can maximize and take a screenshot and attach to this post then we can work through this.

The only tricky part of "Insufficient Rights" errors is what actually triggered it.  I have seen it where an end user updates a record in one table which causes a workflow process to trigger and update a record in another table however the end user didn't have security access to the other table so the workflow process failed and the error made it look like the end user didn't have access to the record they were updating.

The error message should state which table is in question.  From here we can look at the end user security "User Rights" (ie. Preview tab) and make the necessary adjustments.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Mark

Screen shot attached. User role = SAM manager which includes profiles of SAM contract management, SAM license management and SAM software management. Wizard = Manage Software. All OOTB. Wizard option = Create a license. The only field I modified was Rights. This is for a scenario where we need to capture a purchase of license rights. Modify a license option also fails due to insufficient rights. I can run this wizard when logged in with Admin rights.

Have looked at profiles and preview of user rights. Table is amAsset. Field is Rights (ISoftLiceUseRights). System rights to this field for the three profiles appear to be RIU, not C (create?). Is that the blocker? Am I missing something about how HPAM expects a licence acquisition process to be managed? I've looked at the Purchasing Manager role and associated profiles which don't show Create rights for this field either.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Well the first error message is an "Access Restriction" issue.  Under the "Roles, rights and restrictions" tab of each profile there will be a section called "Access restictions".  Each of these restictions will need to be verified as something about them is keeping you from creating/modify amAsset table record(s) (ie. Create a license).

The second error message is an "Insufficient Rights" issue which very well may disappear once the first error issue is resolved.  If not then you want to verify the field attributes of "Rights (ISoftLiceUseRights)" (ie. ReadOnly, Mandatory, Irrelevance, etc.).  This can be done via the Designer application.

The third error message is a standard message and can be ignored.

BTW, running this wizard when logged in with Admin rights makes sense as that login has full security (no user role needed).

C (Create) right is at table level (not field level).  If the wizard is trying to create a record in the amAsset table then not having this is a major issue.

Not having "Create" rights would be the blocker however the SAM module is not my area of expertise so I don't know what/why/how things were developed from an oob standpoint.

Also, just checking the "Create' checkbox may resolve your issue but also may cause other conflicts.

Again, since I don't know how your system was installed/customized, there is a reason why this security does not have "Create" ability so the system as a whole needs to be analyzed.  It is possible your company's tailoring requirements called for the removal of "Create" from all security.  Maybe none of this was considered because the SAM module was not enabled previously.  I could go on and on but I think you get my point.

Godd luck.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks, plenty more for me to think about.

We haven't got this live yet and i'm looking at a clean OOTB instance in prep for delivery this year. Anything not working cannot yet be blamed on reengineering 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Well if that is the case then setting "Create" parameter may all be needed.  This wouldn't be the first time HP has broken oob processes.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.