Absent Member.. Matt Brier Absent Member..
Absent Member..

SMTP Issue

We are using AssetCenter 4.4.2 with MSSQL in a Windows environment.

We have had an ongoing issue sending email via SMTP. Sometimes it works sometimes we get an error similar to the one attached saying a SMTP server is not specified.

The win.ini file has been setup correctly as has the messaging tabs for the users.

Has anyone else run into this issue?
0 Likes
8 Replies
Absent Member.. MTWalsh Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: SMTP Issue

Is this running as part of a workflow? If so, what is the "Processing" set to under detail of event on the general tab? Is the email being sent by the client or the server? Are you sure the email is being sent from where you have set up the win.ini file (client or server)? Have you set up the win.ini in both places?

If you are sending it from the server, does the account you are running the AC Server under have access to the win.ini file you set up there?

Michael
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

The issue occurs at random from wherever an email is trying to be sent. In the error attached it is a work flow that is set to process immediately. The issue also occurs when running the new contract wizard and the lease buyout wizard.

The win.ini is setup correctly on the client machine as well as the server. The server account has administrator privileges on the server so it should be able to access the ini just fine. To be sure I just logged into AC from the server and sent a test message.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Are you saying that sometimes when you run these wizards, it sends mails ok, and other times it doesn't? Could it be data related? Are you always sending through the same account (i.e. an AssetCenter account on the mail server)? Or are you sending from different SMTP accounts?

Michael
0 Likes
Akash Mehta Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So for admin the Messaging tab in the empldept table is populated with the email profile...is this the same for all your users?

Also, can you not set this workflow to be processed by server? That would clear up this issue...
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Michael-

That is exactly what I'm saying. I've check all of the 'To:' from each wizard and the messaging for those user accounts is setup correctly. Furthermore, all clients are setup with the win.ini file set to email from the AssetCenter account. Stranger still the same client can be working fine, then it quits working all of a sudden, they restart AssetCenter a couple of times, and they start working again.

I've run this by our messaging team and they have determined that the clients are not losing connection to the SMTP server from a networking perspective.

As for running workflows from the server, those also suffer from the issue. I have a test server setup, with an email action set in a workflow that is in a workflow group fired by the server. Sometimes it works, sometimes I have to reboot the server multiple times to get it to send SMTP mail. Yet when we tested sending a message directly through SMTP, outside of AssetCenter, it worked just fine.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Are you thinking it is a bug then? If so, open a ticket and send your entire DB over to HP and get them to test. If there is a known bug, they'll be able to tell you that too.

I don't buy your messaging team's answer that they can tell it isn't losing connection. I don't think you are ever getting a connection to begin with when it fails. You could try some testing in some tool like procmon. That might give you some insight if you can isolate the times and see what is happening under the hood in windows. Filemon might help too.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

I've had a ticket open on this issue since January of last year and they seem pretty stumped as well. I opened the thread here to see if anyone else had run into the issue and/or maybe we were overlooking something.

The messaging team setup protocol logging on a client's machine, I'm not sure which program they were using but a copy of the log was forwarded to HP also.

I may have overstated on that as well, I think the SMTP protocol does disconnect after being dormant for awhile, but the logs indicated everything was reconnecting just fine. I'm a little hazy on the particulars there.
0 Likes
aksarian Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Matt
Even I am facing a similar issue
Whenever I try to create a new portfolio item it throws the follwoing error

Network error (connect(), errno-10061)
The server has refused the connection
The message could not be sent correctly to the server abc.com
Action'Notify New Asset' failed to execute
Error executing action from activity'Notify-Email' in the workflow'New Asset Record Notification

If you any suggestion for this please help...
Together v can make things possible
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.