Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Storing related fields in history

Hello,

I have enabled History on the User link on amPortfolio using Application Designer.

Currently the data stored in History has the User name as "LastName, FirstName", with no link to the user record.  I would like to store the User.UserName and/or the User.EMail data as well.  The hope is that with this data I would be be able to directly identity the user in question.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Storing related fields in history

If any change to the user link on amPortfolio is what you want to keep history on then all you have to do, for these history records, is add User.UserName and/or User.EMail fields as columns.

These can be found by right-clicking column header section and selecting "Configure list...".  Under Columns and sort tab expand the Links branch, scroll down to and expand branch "Referenced object / Portfolio items (PortfolioHistObject)", expand Links branch, expand User branch, move to right side of screen the fields you want, move them in the order you want, then click the OK button.

This will give you the link to the user record.

Note: this works best from the history table directly as other non-user history records won't show values for these elements.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Thank you for your response Mark.

When I do as you suggested and add user informatoin throught the "Referenced object / Portfolio items (PortfolioHistObject)" link, the user informatoin (Link) listed is for the current user of the Portfolio Item. 

As you can see by the last screen screen, the curent user email and username is listed. 

What I would like to do is to display a link or unique link data (such as username or email) to the historical user. 

The ultimate goal is to have a View that displays the data for a portfolio item as well as the current and last user of that item.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I know that I could just display the Previous Value and New Value as is, but "Last Name, First Name" prove of little use, if you have several users who share the same "Last Name, First Name".
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just add those unique fields from the referenced table, I think they're even in the screen shot you provided.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Rob,

I thought I did add those unique fields from the referenced table.

Could you look at my screen shot and let me know if added the fields you are referring too?

If I did then, the result is a link to the current user not the historical user
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

You are correct regarding showing the current user values and not the previous user values.  Showing values for the previous user is going to be a bit tough.  Hopefully you have an environment where you can test the following out...

The corresponding link from "amPortfolio.User" is "amEmplDept.ItemsUsed".  Instead of keeping history on "amPortfolio.User" (as this will only give you current user data) why not keep history on "amEmplDept.ItemsUsed"?  My hope is that keeping history on this link will generate "Added" / "Removed" history records for both employees ("Added" for current user and "Removed" for previous user).  They will be separate history records but from there you may be able to report based on portfolio item as the common denominator.

No matter what, you will not be able to see values for each user on one record so if you want to capture this then you will have to create new functionality (ie. table, workflow, etc).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Thank you Mark.

That makes a lot of sense.

You are a valued contributor and I trully appreciate the time you took to think about my problem.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

You can also change the "String" value for the amEmplDept table to add the fields you would like to it. This will have the effect of changing the way that link looks in the client, as well, but that is the value that is entered into the history record. So if you change it to [Name], [FirstName] / [EMail], then you would see:

Dowd, Jason / jason.dowd@hp.com in the history record, and also on the User link itself.

Jason Dowd
HPE Software Support

If this post has helped you resolve the issue, please flag it as solved.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.