A_Beck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

User with Windows 7 64-bit can't connect to AM 5.22 Oracle DB

Hello,

One of our users has Windows 7 64-bit installed with the Oracle 11g client. Everything is configured correctly with the right tnsnames.ora entry and amdb.ini connection. When I enter tnsping dbname I get an OK. When I try to login to the Asset Manager 5.22 Oracle DB I get an error "Cannot load Oracle dynamic library (oci.dll)".

When I look at the HP Compatibility Matrix for AM 5.22, under the Supported Configurations on the Client (Oracle) heading I see for Windows 7 64-bit it says the supported Oracle configuration is version 11.1. When I perform the tnsping command as mentioned above it returns "TNS Ping Utility for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0. Could this be the reason it's not working, the 11.1 vs. 11.2? This is an extremely important matter I need to resolve before Windows 7, Oracle 11g clients, and Asset Manager 5.22 Windows clients are distributed to our users. If someone could please help me I would appreciate it.

Thank You,
Andrew Beck
0 Likes
6 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.. Mark Cullen_1 Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: User with Windows 7 64-bit can't connect to AM 5.22 Oracle DB

Add the following to your amdb.ini file:

[DLL]
oci=oraclient11.dll
0 Likes
A_Beck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you Mark for your response.

I have added the .dll file as you instructed to both amdb.ini files (System and User). This did not work. We are still getting the same Oracle error when trying to login to Asset Manager.

Any other suggestions? There are both the oci.dll and oraclient11.dll files in the Oracle bin sub-directory so I know the files exist.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. Mark Cullen_1 Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

The only other thought I have is using oracle client 32-bit. I have seen other threads related to this (search knowledgebase).

If you really have AM5.22 and windows 7 64-bit then you should not have a system and user amdb.ini; there should be only one file for all users located under "C:\ProgramData\HP\AssetManager\conf".

Sorry I can't be of more help; maybe someone else reading this can supply the answer.
0 Likes
A_Beck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Mark, yeah I noticed there was not a system one. But in the options there claimed there was supposed to be there so I manually copied the user one to that directory.

I appreciate your help have a nice weekend.
0 Likes
Asish Kumar Sah Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I am using AM 5.1. its a 32 bit application.

and i am trying to access it from Windows 7 which is 64 bit and am not able to login. Its throwing me some "TNS related error.

can you tell me if this is the problem with 64 bit or something?

0 Likes
Highlighted
RobC_TR Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Did you install a 32 or 64 bit Oracle client?

I'd check the "Help --> More" section on the AM client to check where AM is "looking" for the two Oracle DLLs. If you see both then that's a start at least.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.