Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Ktjn Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Using Connect-IT against Active Directory to import ObjectGUID (binary blob)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience reading in objectGUID field located in MS Active Directory using connect-IT, then bringing that data to Asset Manager (employee departments table)? Im currently trying to bring in the data (also to reconcile) and the field is of a binary blob data type and I would like it to display as text. Is there a way to convert when mapping in connect-IT?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Frequent Contributor.. George D. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Re: Using Connect-IT against Active Directory to import ObjectGUID (binary blob)

I normally don't use Connect-IT to pull data from Active Directory, you can easily do it with Java (JNDI-LDAP provider) or C# instead..    Regarding the binary data stored in objectGUID, in LDAP terms (and exporting it in an LDIF) - the textual representation is usually Base64 encoded..  

So basically get the Byte Array,  Base64 encode it, and you'll get the textual representation (which is also how binary bits are encoded in LDIF files).

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. Ivan Kovac_1 Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Re: Using Connect-IT against Active Directory to import ObjectGUID (binary blob)

In ConnecIt document Programmer's reference is described function PifGetHexStringFromBlob where is following statement:

On some LDAP servers, an entry is uniquely defined by the binary element "ObjectGUID". The script below imports this binary value inside a string of the destination connector and uses it as a reconciliation key.
RetVal = PifGetHexStringFromBlob("ObjectGUID", TRUE)

When I use this function in mapping to fransform GUID Blob from AD to hexa string in AM attribute Field3 , getting following error:

2019/06/07 11:21:51.000 0 1 (0) Element '619EE710A1F25443A7B345D01223FC69\x01\x02' is not in the source document. (amEmplDept.Field3)

My mapping looks like this:

RetVal = PifGetHexStringFromBlob([organizationalPerson.person.top.objectGUID], TRUE)

Can somebody confirm that syntax of function is correct or what I miss to transform binary blob to hexa string and write to AssetManager field? Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
John Goldstein Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

This is a very old topic, in the future you should open a new post when asking a question.

My code is:

RetVal = PifGetHexStringFromBlob("person.top.objectGUID", TRUE)

The document root is already OrganizationalPerson so I do not specify it in the mapping.

John

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.