Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Mouad_1 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

"Configure list" of AM records by adding fields from linked tables

Hey there Experts,

For reporting purposes, we need to be able to display the fields/columns of some records of a given AM table (say tableA) by including some other fields from a linked tableB.

Now when we confirure the list to only show fields from tableA, a given number of records show up.

But when we add fields from the linked tableB (to the list of columns), we obtain fewer records !

I believe that this happens because some records from tableA does not have any corresponding records in tableB (for some reason). (For our context, this happen a lot between amAsset and amPortfolio).

Now my question is : Can AM still display the whole set of tableA records, and only display the fields from the linked tableB when they are avalaible (Keep it blank for others) ?

Thanks.

Mouad

0 Likes
8 Replies
ran_b Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: "Configure list" of AM records by adding fields from linked tables

Hi Mouad,

Please try following workaround:

In "Configure list" pop-up window check "View NULLs"  option at the bottom of the page.

Regards

Ranjan Bhattacharya

HPE Software

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mouad,

Have you tried selecting the "View NULLs" checkbox in the "Configure List" window?

Thanks,

Elisaveta

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

To explain the behavior when linked fields are added in the list:

You see a subset, i.e. the rows with NULL value are hidden, only when the column is sorted and "View NULLs" is not checked. If the column is not sorted and "View NULLs" is not checked, the complete list is displayed.

By default, the sorting is not on the newly added column. This is why the default value of “View NULLs” option is false. The returned result includes records with NULL value in the added field as long as a filter is not added manually.

In short, “View NULLs” need to be checked if you need sorting on linked fields.

Ranjan Bhattacharya

HPE Software

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks Ranjan and Elisaveta, I never payed attention to that option.

But unfortunalty , that doesn't realy solve my problem.

Let me show an example :

main table (tableA in my previous POST) = amAsset

tableB = amPortfolio

Trying to display this record (AssetTag=PRN437374) from amAsset using a single column in the list (AssetTag itself) successed but with warning :

"To use a remote detail, a record for the link 'Portfolio item (PortfolioItem)' is required. Currently, the database does not contain a record linked to the main detail's record."

Now trying to add the seAssignment field from the linked Portfolio table (with "View NULLs"  checked) doesn't display the record in the list. There is a 0/1 in the counts button, but it would be awsome if AM could display the record, and keep the linked filed blank (since there is no record in tableB).

Attached some screenshots.

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Sorry i'm not really following heer when you say ".... as long as a filter is not added manually. ... "

Does it mean :  I can't display the whole list, NULLs included, when I selected a subset of records using a manul filter ? like in the screenshot of my previous POST ?

I don't care about sorting for now, I just want AM to display the whole list of records according to :

- The manual filter I gave hime

- And the columns I configure in the list (From main table and linked table)

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi  Mouad,

amAsset and amPortfolio are overflow tables, it should just work fine. Looking at the warning and the behavior, it appears something is wrong in the database. Please execute "Diagnostics/Repair database" wizard from Application Designer and perform a verification; steps:

1. Connect to the database using Application designer as 'Admin' account
  2. Go to Action > 'Diagnostics/Repair database' menu
  3. Select all tables
  4. Specify the name and the location of the log file
  5. Select all except 'Check validity of records' option
  6. Select the 'Analyze onlyr' radio button
  7. Click Start

Let us review the result.

Regards

Ranjan Bhattacharya

HPE Software

Outstanding Contributor.

Please read  ".... as long as a sort is not added manually. ... " in place of ".... as long as a filter is not added manually. ... ". Aplogies for the typo.

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Great, Il will try these on non-PROD env later. i can't do it right now.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.