Highlighted
Absent Member.. _atmega328 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

sw license end date

Jump to solution

How am i supposed to configure a license expiration date? do i imply that a contract's expired it'd seem that i'd need to 'retire' it from the portfolio which does not make quite sense?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Acclaimed Contributor.. Mark Cullen_1 Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: sw license end date

Jump to solution

It is NOT correct to state AM does not offer an oob way of tracking license expiration date.

Most end date elements in AM give the ability to set Alarms (alarm clock button next to element).  The 'Alarms (amDateAlarm)' table (which opens when selecting alarm clock button) stores up to two trigger events which need to be manually created.  All alarms are monitored via Automated Process Manager (APM) with related alarms scheduled task enabled.  I cannot remember if this scheduled task is enabled oob so you will have to verify.  If the APM scheduled task identifies an alarm trigger event match then the APM will execute the associated alarm trigger event action.

As for the counters, I cannot help here as this is not my area of expertise.  Based on others' posts, I would agree this would have to be coded/considered through some form of identifiable logic.

0 Likes
8 Replies
McK_Tibado Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

If the license has a 'Key' that only allows it to be used for a period of time, say one year you can either use Contracts to set an end date and setup alerts, say 90 days before the contract ends so you get notified and have time to renew the license before it stops working.

Another way but less desirable is to use the SW License Assets End of Life > Dispose date field. This does not have an alert capability OOB so it would have to reported/tracked.

You may also want to look at the 'Status' as a way to track expired licenses, keep in mind if your using counters you need to account for any licneses that no longer should be counted if you change the status.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Hi, the contract does not quite work because then the counters will be left hanging there. The other methods seem to be more workarounds. Is it correct to state that AM does not offer an oob way of tracking license expiration date?
0 Likes
Absent Member.. RT5 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

You can Contracts to set an end date alerts, so you get notified and have time to renew the license before it stops working.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

It is NOT correct to state AM does not offer an oob way of tracking license expiration date.

Most end date elements in AM give the ability to set Alarms (alarm clock button next to element).  The 'Alarms (amDateAlarm)' table (which opens when selecting alarm clock button) stores up to two trigger events which need to be manually created.  All alarms are monitored via Automated Process Manager (APM) with related alarms scheduled task enabled.  I cannot remember if this scheduled task is enabled oob so you will have to verify.  If the APM scheduled task identifies an alarm trigger event match then the APM will execute the associated alarm trigger event action.

As for the counters, I cannot help here as this is not my area of expertise.  Based on others' posts, I would agree this would have to be coded/considered through some form of identifiable logic.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

up to my knowledge and please correct me if i am wrong, having a contract expire does not necessarily put you in a non-compliant position; this is why i said that marking (and notifying) a contract as expired does not solve the compliancy issue which should be dealt with at asset level at best and then be reflected in the counters.

as of now, i cannot see this happening oob. i am sure it can be done, but it seems to me that it does not come at the moment with the product as a feature.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

You are correct in that this does not happen oob.  Due to the complexities of Software Asset Management (SAM), AM gives one the ability to create license counters per required logic.  This means a license counter can account for ones that have expired.  You are also correct having a contract expire does not necessarily put you in a non-compliant position but being noitified prior and taking necessary steps to stay compliant ensures controls are in place.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

got it, thanks!

0 Likes
xpts184
Visitor.

Jump to solution
What I'm thinking to use is the information of the dispose date in the assets. Have you created a new atribute for this?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.