Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

A new CI Type (a child of the ABSTRACT_CLASS) can not be instantiated?

Jump to solution

HI,

We are running UCMDB 10.32, CP25, Windows.

We need to create some new CI Types (classes) to achieve some customer-specific business logic.

While experimenting, I have noticed that if you create a new CIT as a child of the ABSTRACT_CLASS, this new CIT, although not an ABSTRACT_CLASS itself (at least no qualifier visible), you cannot manually create a CI! Is that normal?

EXAMPLE:

The product comes with an abstract class "SERVICE" and it contains two child classes: BusinessService (BS) and InfrastructureService (IS), both obviously NOT ABSTRACT as we can normally create new CIs out of those two CITs.

Now, lets say we need a brand new Service class, a sibling of the BS and IS, and a child of SERVICE, i.e. FinancialService (or whatever). When we create a new CIT for FinancialService (a child of Service, and a sister of BS and IS), for some reason we cannot create a new CI for FinancialService (FS)! We see a ""CI type can not be instantiated" info.  As if the new FS class is also ABSTRACT, but it doesn't have the ABSTRACT_CLASS qualifier!

1 . Why is that? Are we doing something wrong? How come BS and IS can be instantiated and FS can't, and all 3 are children of the same ABSTRACT class? Is this normal or is this some kind of bug on our UCMDB?

2. generally, how do we make a new non-ABSTRACT child CI Type out of an ABSTRACT class parent?

I have looked into my new FS class in the JMX console (listResourceType) trying to see if perhaps ABSTRACT_CLASS qualifier slipped through somehow, but i don't see it...

P.S. this is NOT the case of a CI that needs a container CI in order to be created...

Help please

Tnx, Marko

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

When you created the class, did you specify the Configuration Item Type Qualifier of 'ABSTRACT_CLASS'?  This is present in the creation of the CI.  When I chose the following:

In CI Type Manager: Select Service -> Right Click -> New

Name:  TestServices

Display Name: Test Service

Identification: Key Attribute (name)

Click 'Next'

Click 'Next' (didn't add any attributes)

Removed ABSTRACT_CLASS

Click 'Next', Click 'Finish'.

I was then able to instanciate an instance of this class.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hello ,

Any error after the test ?

Regards,

Melissa Carranza Mejias
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation. “
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

no, there are no errors, at least not in the GUI, i haven't inspected the logs, as i didn't actually do anything to trigger the potential error. It's just that when i create a new subclass of the ABSTRACT class, when trying to "Create a new CI", my new class is greyed out, i cannot select it, it says "Abstract CI Type cannot be instantiated" in the "Create new CI dialog".

The question is more conceptual, i see no errors...

regards

marko

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

When you created the class, did you specify the Configuration Item Type Qualifier of 'ABSTRACT_CLASS'?  This is present in the creation of the CI.  When I chose the following:

In CI Type Manager: Select Service -> Right Click -> New

Name:  TestServices

Display Name: Test Service

Identification: Key Attribute (name)

Click 'Next'

Click 'Next' (didn't add any attributes)

Removed ABSTRACT_CLASS

Click 'Next', Click 'Finish'.

I was then able to instanciate an instance of this class.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

thanks for the reply. I made sure the final configuration of my class does not have the ABSTRACT_CLASS qualifier, but let's try again, with my screenshots.

1. I create a New class from "Service":

New Service CI type 1.PNG

Notice i didn't change the "Identification", i leave it as is (No identification)

2. i don't change attributes:

New Service CI type 2.PNG

3. ABSTRACT_CLASS qualifier is there so i remove it:

New Service CI type 3.PNGNew Service CI type 4.PNG

4. I don't change anything else, just click "NEXT" through the rest of the configuration and my new CI type is created:New Service CI type 5.PNG

Notice the ABSTRACT_CLASS qualifier is not there...

5.  i now go to IT Universe and try to create a new instance of my new TestService class:New Service CI type 6.PNG

Hmmm...it doesn's say anymore that i can't create an instance... OK, let's give it a name and finish the new CI.

New Service CI type 7.PNG

It seems i now can create a new CI instance...weird... Here is the proof:

New Service CI type 8.PNG

The CI is created.... wow, obviously i will have to test this at my customer's UCMDB, this was form our lab system...

I'm confused...this is how it is supposed to work and it works as expected, obviously i made some mistaked when trying to do the similar at the customer's...

Thanks... i will mark this as answered....

Regards

marko

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.