Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

About CI aging time

Hi All,

I have a question about CI aging time.Could you help me for this ?

The customer try to add auto delete CITs like "computer, vmware host resource" for discovery adapter "Vmware Vcenter Topology", but it seems doesn't take effect.Because one of the VMs was deleted from vCenter, but it didn't remove from the CMDB after re-discovery.

And I had a test of OS User:

1. I use the host resource by shell job to add OS User for automatic deletion.

2. Create a new user testuser on the target machine. The result of re-discovery is testuser.

3. Delete the user testuser on the target machine, re-discvery found that the testuser was deleted, and the CI in the CMDB library does not exist.

I know that CI has an aging time, but why when the CI is an OS user, the CI in the CMDB library will be deleted when the re-discovery does not find the user. Why is it not possible when the CI is a VM machine?

Do different CIs have different aging mechanisms? I didn't find this in the documentation, can you explain it?

Thanks and Regards,

Tian

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: About CI aging time

Hello ,

KM00574108  and KM1455150 will help you. If not, please feel free to open a suppor ticket.

Best Regards,

Melissa Carranza Mejias
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation. “
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Hi Melissa,

Sorry for the delay reply and thanks for your help !

I think it is an issue about Automatic Deletion.

And I will take a new point for the real issue.

Thanks!

Tian

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Zhiguang,

Automatic Deletion basically works based on the cache the probe has retained through the last discovery. So in order to work, you have to be caucious which probe it is using and if the VCenter is reporting still the deleted machine. 

So what you have to ensure is:

0. Set the AutoDeletion on the adapter. Set communication log + results log to always.

1. Discover VCenter Topology

2. Check that there is a cache on the probe postgresql

3. Delete the virtual machine

4. Check that virtual machine is not submitted anymore (it may have still some record in VCenter)

5. See if deletion is submitted through the communication log

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.