Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Add new CI property to existing CI Type

Jump to solution

Hello All

Is there any way I can add new property or attribute to existing CI Type. For example I have Node CI Type with following attributes,

DiscoveredDescription                                 :                         Cisco Controller
DiscoveredVendor                                       :                          cisco
ExtendedOsFamily                                       :                          cisco_ios

Based on the above, how can I create new property or attribute like "Cisco Controller"

Please to help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Add new CI property to existing CI Type

Jump to solution

@ramesh9 wrote:

"Is there any way we can update NodeRole attribute based on existing Node CI type attribute. For example if Discovered Model attribute is "Cisco Controller", can we update NodeRole attribute as "Cisco Controller""

To achieve your requirement you can create enrichment rule or write a normalization rule.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

HI Ramesh

You may Open the "CI Type Manager", then select your CIT (Node in this example), select the "Attributes" Tab and now click on the "Add Attribute" button (green Icon) Capture.PNG.

Best Regards

Yasser

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information. Let me brief my situation here.

We are integrating NNM with UCMDB for Topology collection from NNM. We are using UCMDB adapter to pull Topology from NNM. We see UCMDB is pulling network device types such as router, Switch, Firewall etc and getting populated in UCMDB as Switch or router based on NodeRole attribute.

However we have other network device types such as Cisco Controller, Pulse Secure etc and these are been pulled from NNM and been populated in UCMDB as Node CI type and NodeRole attribute is set to NULL.

Is there any way we can update NodeRole attribute based on existing Node CI type attribute. For example if Discovered Model attribute is "Cisco Controller", can we update NodeRole attribute as "Cisco Controller"

Or is there any other simple solution

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

@ramesh9 wrote:

"Is there any way we can update NodeRole attribute based on existing Node CI type attribute. For example if Discovered Model attribute is "Cisco Controller", can we update NodeRole attribute as "Cisco Controller""

To achieve your requirement you can create enrichment rule or write a normalization rule.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Can you please give me an example of normalisation rule.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi

I figured out how to write normalisation rule for modifying CI attributes, but I am not sure how to import the same in UCMDB environment. Is there any speciific steps for it.

Please note I am not much experienced in UCMDB, please help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello,

here what you are looking for -  http://cmshelpcenter.saas.hp.com/CMS/10.33/ucmdb-docs/docs/eng/doc_lib/Content/dfm/adap_config_c_rules_syntax.htm

I'm not sure that it works for population jobs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello All

I followed below KB,

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00364592

and tried to create new Normalization Rule, deleted CI in UCMDB, ran NNM integration job again, but it was not working.

I then exported Normalization Rule package as described in above URL link. unzipped snmp.gz, added new rule at the end, used gzip to zip snmp file and then zipped entire Normalization Rules using Windows zip, 7zip tool.

Tried to import the zip file in UCMDB console, however it fails with following errors,

Resource type not supported for samples.xml, scan.gz, snmp.gz,descriptor.xml

Is there anything I am doing wrong.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello All

I had overcome the error "resource types not supported" and I was able to modify NodeRole attribute to firewall. However the CI still shows under Node CI type, it is not been shown under firewall CI type. I went through CI attributes and found classification attribute has been set as infrastructure. I tried to change that using following discovery rules,

<attribute name="classification">
                <values>
                        <value label="classification">classification</value>
                </values>
 </attribute>

and using following as well,

<attribute name="classification">
                <values>
                        <add>network</add>
                </values>
 </attribute>

but it is not working fine. Is there any reason we cannot update classification CI attribute.

Or am I missing something.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello All

I tried to set Node CI type as CMS Browser Editable and ran the integration job again, but still classification field of Cisco Wireless controller is set to Infrastructure. Please note for Node CI Type classification attribute, Default value has been set as "Infrastructure"

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello All

This issue has been solved with following implementations in UCMDB,

1.     Write new normalisation for updating NodeRole attribute
2.     Update UCMDB/NNMi adapter file nnmi.py
3.     Add new CI Type for Cisco Controller

Highlighted
Member..
Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Ramesh,

May I know in which part of UCMDB you write normalization rule ?

What part of the nnmi.py script being edited ?

I implement the same right now.

Thanks for sharing...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.