Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Adding a new reconcilation defining its sys_object_id

Jump to solution

I have a network device, which is not defined within UCMDB 10.22 CUP6.  I have a new CI-type, under Node, called mydev (just an example).

I thought I followed the Help, but UCMDB is still discovering the device as a node, though SNMP is working fine and the node shows the device's sys_object_id.

I went to Adapter Management and did a new configuration file.  I created a rule  ruleEngine/mydev.xml and set the package field to NormalizationRules.

In the XML, I copied the sample rule, which had a sys_object_id.  I set the ci-type="mydev", which is a ci-type I have defined in the CI Type manager.  I specify most of the OID and specify oid-starts-with.  It doesn't seem to be matching as Vendor is not set in the properties, which I have in the xml.  The device always shows up as a node, rather than my new CI type.

In the adapter management my XML shows up under NormalizationRules->Configuration Files->ruleEngine/mydev.xml

Can someone point to what I am missing?

Thanks,
Mel

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Adding a new reconcilation defining its sys_object_id

Jump to solution

Hi Mel,

the information is written between the lines. Basically you have to do this:

1. Create custom class under Node or select which out of the box there to use - nt, switch, router,etc

2. Leave ci-type="node" and put this class under 

<class-type>custom/oobclass</class-type>

3.Save

At the end the SNMP adapter will create the CI as your custom class you have defined.

Regards,

Petko Popadiyski

Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello all, 

Many thanks for your questions.

Generally, the path used to add a device that is not discovered by UCMDB, is to add the OID and modify the adapter that discovers this type of devices so that it is classified correctly.

These types of modifications are made by RnD.

Our recommendation when you create the new forum is to add the snpwalk.

Please join in the below link and create your concern/idea with RnD: 

https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/CMS-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/CMS_Idea

Regards,

Joshua Alpizar Viachica

UCMDB Engineer

joshua.alpizar@microfocus.com

Joshua Alpizar Viachica
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation. “
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

HI Mel, 

I can't agree with the support of MicroFocus. The setting of normalization rules is specified in Universal CMDB Data Flow Management Guide and if you follow the rules you will be perfeclty fine to use your custom normalization without contacting R&D and paying for enhancement request + waiting for 6 months for the patch to come according to their queue. 

Inside the pdf you can check "Chapter 8: Discovery Rules Engine" and under example 3 you can see a case specified similar to yours.  However you have to set the "mydev" class under class-type and NOT under ci-type="node".  I believe the custom class should be under "Node" as well.

<ns2:normalization-rule ci-type="node" id="111111111">
        <rule-input>
            <attribute name="sys_object_id" value=".1.3.6.1.4.1.2684." compare-type="starts-with"/>
        </rule-input>
        <rule-output>
            <class-type>mydev</class-type>
        </rule-output>
    </ns2:normalization-rule>

Regards,

Petko Popadiyski

Likes are appreciated!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Petko,

That makes more sense.  I had found examples, but they didn't mention (or I missed or misunderstood it) to use class type for my CI.  Do I put into that the name of my CI?  Will that make then show the device as that type and not node?

Thanks,
Mel

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Mel,

the information is written between the lines. Basically you have to do this:

1. Create custom class under Node or select which out of the box there to use - nt, switch, router,etc

2. Leave ci-type="node" and put this class under 

<class-type>custom/oobclass</class-type>

3.Save

At the end the SNMP adapter will create the CI as your custom class you have defined.

Regards,

Petko Popadiyski

Likes are appreciated!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Petko,

Worked perfectly.  It was actually for a new CI type we had previously added.

Thanks,

Mel

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Happy to hear that!

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.