Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Agentless and Agent Discovery

Hi Team,

I have installed UCMDB/UD 10.33 along with the dataprobe. I have asked the customer to open the dynamic port range i.e. 1024 - 65535 for WMI and 22 for SSH. I  am planning to do the agentless discovery so my question will i get the all the software details if i do an agentless discovery? Can someone explain  me in detail as what are the benifits from agent discovery compared to agentless discovery.

Thanks and Regards

Vinay S Kadival

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Agentless and Agent Discovery

Hello Vinay,

it's a neverending discussion around agent vs agentless discovery. It's even more interesting if you want to store your credentials in CyberArk if the admins are reluctant in providing credentials.

In the end it will get to how simple will you be able to maintain the UDAs.

The discovery results will be the same, UDA is considered still a shell like SSH or PowerCmd.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

There is some disparity in discovery results between agent and agentless that is being addressed.  On example is the collection of Bios Version which is currently not populated for Unix or Windows CIs by agentless discovery but is by agent.

Regards,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

For some data retrieval flows we need extra permissions.

Agent discovery usually runs under root or an administrative account hence better chances of retrieving data.

BIOS version requeiers higher permissions. Hint --> https://docs.microfocus.com/UCMDB/25/cp-docs/docs/eng/doc_lib/Content/Permissions_intro.htm?Highlight=permissions

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Agreed, for example with Linux hosts you need to put the dmidecode in the sudo list for the SSH protocol.  For ESX servers, using just the VIM protocol it is possible to get the physical host's BIOS version via the VMware API, but the discovery job doesn't do it (yet).  Many disocovery jobs require elevated access and UCMDB can facilitate that so I don't think it is a significant obstical.. 

Regards,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Exactly!

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

One of the factors that I typically look at is whether the customer requires software utilization statistics.  If they do, then you will want to install an agent because you will need to reach out to the end nodes and install either the agent or partial agent.  If utilization statistics are not required, you have the option of agentless scanning. 

Bob

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Good point Bob!

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.