Highlighted
New Member.

Anyone have performance data on the UD agent?

Jump to solution

I have a customer who is looking for information regarding the impact the UD agent may have on a device.

Any input appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Anyone have performance data on the UD agent?

Jump to solution

The CPU, memory and network utilization:

When the UD agent is idle this is what it will consume:

When utilization is enabled:
CPU :  0.02%
Memory :9M
Network Utilization: Since it is idle it will not consume any bandwidth (it will wait for the probe server to contact it, or it will call home which again should be less then %0.1)

When UD agent is being used (when running the scanner):
CPU :  <%85  this can vary because it is using APIs and commands on the OS and it will consume whatever that command will consume.
Memory :10MB-15MB
Network Utilization: Since it will be transferring the data it had collected, the bandwidth will be used during this period. Also there is an option to limit the bandwidth that is being used from the Management Zone Configuration, Settings tab. Shell Bandwidth can be adjust for cases where there is limited bandwidth being used.

Please note that all these values are sample values and they may vary from operating system to operating system and for the jobs being done.

HP Support
If you find that this or any post has resolved your issues please mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

The UD agent is a simple listening program. It listens on port 2738 or 7738. It is also secure, so while it is not being used the CPU and Memory it uses is minimal. However, when it is being used , meaning when scanning the device or running a discovery job then it does consume some Memory and CPU.

Thanks

HP Support
If you find that this or any post has resolved your issues please mark it as solved.
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.

My question is how much CPU, memory, bandwidth and diskspace does the agent consume when running.

My expectation is that to collect usage data it will have some impact on the client.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

As per the Discovery and Integration Content Guide page 66 of UCMDB 10.01

Discovery Node Disk Requirements

The estimated minimum disk space requirements for a discovery node are as follows:

Type of Node : Desktop/Workstation/Laptop

Universal Discovery Agent and Scanner : 25 MB

Inventory Data &colon;250 K- 3 MB

Utilization Data &colon; 5-10 MB

Note:

The value in the

Inventory Data column greatly varies depending on your selections when you

configured and generated the Scanner.

The value in the Utilization Data column is estimated for one year of utilization data.

Hope this helps

HP Support
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks once again.

I have reviewed the documentation and under stand most of it.

My question is not just about disk space but CPU, memory and network utilization.

I suspect it depends on what is being run etc., but I was hoping for some generalizations.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

The CPU, memory and network utilization:

When the UD agent is idle this is what it will consume:

When utilization is enabled:
CPU :  0.02%
Memory :9M
Network Utilization: Since it is idle it will not consume any bandwidth (it will wait for the probe server to contact it, or it will call home which again should be less then %0.1)

When UD agent is being used (when running the scanner):
CPU :  <%85  this can vary because it is using APIs and commands on the OS and it will consume whatever that command will consume.
Memory :10MB-15MB
Network Utilization: Since it will be transferring the data it had collected, the bandwidth will be used during this period. Also there is an option to limit the bandwidth that is being used from the Management Zone Configuration, Settings tab. Shell Bandwidth can be adjust for cases where there is limited bandwidth being used.

Please note that all these values are sample values and they may vary from operating system to operating system and for the jobs being done.

HP Support

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.