Highlighted
Frequent Visitor.

Assign UD Inventory license to an existing CI in 10.33

Hello Exports,

When does UCMDB assign license to the CI?

Is it happening one time at first time discovery (creation) or it is changing with the assigned jobs?

If I use one of the jobs require UD Full to discover the CI first time, will I be able to change the job to a one that needs only UDI and then UD Full will not count anymore or I need to delete the CI and rediscover again?

I have number of Desktops assigned UD full and I need to move them to take UD Inventory; can we do that or need to delete these CI's and rediscover from the beginning.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ahmed

Tags (3)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Ahmed,

you can see what was the license applied for a particular node in the normalization.log on the probe that discoveres that particular node.

UDF has higher precendence over UDI so if UDI is the first applied license then you can later on step up to UDF if the license mechanism is valid for that node later on in the discovery process. Once a node is tagged as UDF license consummer it will never downgrade to UDI.

The only fix is to delete the node from UCMDB, make the needed changes to avoid the UDF license and rediscover that node.

Most like the desktop nodes that consume UDF licenses after Inventory discovery were marked as UDF consummers because you enabled the job paramtere discoveryProcesses. An interesting script change would be to exclude from modeling the process CIs if the node has the attribute node_role equal desktop.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
EMEA CMS Technical Success
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

to answer your question:
Is it happening one time at first time discovery (creation) or it is changing with the assigned jobs?

assignment of licenses depends on the jobs.

E.g. when a node is imported via an integration, it will be created but will not consume any license, neither UDI nor UDF.

When you then start some of the discovery jobs, these will assign UDI and UDF licenses, depending on the job type and some parameters of these jobs.

E.g. all "Inventory" jobs normally will set the UDI license usage, but, as Bogdan has already explained, if you change some of the job parameters (e.g. set the flag discoverProcesses) , this will change the behaviour of the job - from then on all discovered nodes will consume a UDF license.

Other jobs, like all those under "Enterprise Applications", will always set the node to consume a UDF license.

UDF is the most expensive license, and each job which is discovering UDF "features" will auto-update the node to use UDF license.
So, if you have nodes which currently consume a UDI license and then start discovering some Enterprise Applications on these nodes, the node will change to consume a UDF license.

Regards

Uli Manschke

Micro Focus presales technical consultant
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.